Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P10 .308 - SHOT news?

Feedback Score
    I'm really tempted!

On Thursday I heard from a reliable source, that my local LE supplier will be getting the black, MagPul/Troy/18" version very soon & they'll be going for $1097 (That's with my LE discount).

Oh, hell! I might as well go for it. They already have another Colt 6920 in the pipeline for me.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironbutt View Post
    I'm really tempted!

On Thursday I heard from a reliable source, that my local LE supplier will be getting the black, MagPul/Troy/18" version very soon & they'll be going for $1097 (That's with my LE discount).
    I think wholesale is higher than that, but let us know. That would sure be a good deal.

Feedback Score

Picked one up today

Paid $1,650 + tax - not factoring in the S&W $100 rebate gives to MIL/LEO - for the optics ready version (no BUIS).
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...1_v012913a.pdf

I want to make this into a dedicated hunting rifle, not really a DMR or a battle rifle, but also something that if I were to go to some long range (> 500m) shooting it would be accurate and comfortable to shoot.

Right now what I have in mind are the following upgrades:
    • 3x-5x optic - I am clueless on real scopes so if any suggestions or recommendations is appreciated
    • Magpul PRS stock - any alternate suggestions? I am a bit of a Magpul whore so I haven't looked at any other stocks yet.
    • Troy Free Float BattleRail - looks easy to install, unless the gas block presents a problem
    • GG&G XDS Bipod - As light as the rifle is I doubt I will need the heavy duty one, but I am welcome to any thoughts or alternate suggestions
    • ERGO Tactical Deluxe Sure Grip Pistol Grip
    • VTAC Wide Padded Sling - I am not a fan of padded slings but after throwing on an optic, bipod, rails, etc... I think this would be worth the extra money especially if I am humping it up and down mountains
    • Since I am not even considering this in a battle rifle role, I am going to skip on the BUIS - thoughts? advantages/disadvantages?

Again, any feedback is appreciated

Feedback Score
    My thoughts are...I want feedback from you!

Close-up pics of BCG, etc.! How does the trigger feel?

What do you plan to hunt with it?

I like the 3-9x for the amazing range of choices in any price point you want. You will need to decide 1" or 30mm. I have shot 308 to 500 with 9x, but anything further and I'd want higher power. Don't skimp on the mount. Go Larue or comparable quality...
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carbinero View Post
    My thoughts are...I want feedback from you!

Close-up pics of BCG, etc.! How does the trigger feel?

What do you plan to hunt with it?

I like the 3-9x for the amazing range of choices in any price point you want. You will need to decide 1" or 30mm. I have shot 308 to 500 with 9x, but anything further and I'd want higher power. Don't skimp on the mount. Go Larue or comparable quality...
    I am at work right now, but I will post pics of the BCG tomorrow morning. Haven't shot it yet (no optics, no ammo, no range close that allows .308, just picked it up this morning) but I will fire it on some snap caps or dry fire it and give you some feedback.

I am a virgin to .308 so when I broke it down today I was blown away at the size of the BCG. It is just so massive compared to a 5.56 BCG. I could use the BCG to club an animal since I currently have no ammo.

As stated by Grant and others on here, it is light! Def more of a battle rifle weight than a DMR weight. The stock hand guards feel skinny to me, but I have been running free float quard rails and Magpul MOE hand guards on my AR-15s. Also, I haven't really felt stock handguards since the last time I carried a M16A2 (2005).

Hunting wise, just use for assorted western-US wildlife short of elk, mule deer, etc... more for yotes, javelina, mtn lions and such. I guess it would be a great whitetail rifle if I wanted to hunt that too.

Feedback Score
    Several of us at work are very excited by the S&W offering. We're only allowed DI guns and the weight seems reasonable.
    http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting realism and excellence in combative shooting.

Feedback Score
    As soon as I saw these at shot, I started letting several of my friends know. They've been interested in trying out a .308 platform, but didn't want to drop the money for a Larue, KAC, or GAP. But they also didn't trust DPMS.

The fact that these things are already available is just bonus.

I'm definitely curious about the BCG. I've got my own .308 project in work and I hadn't settled on a BCG yet (was leaning towards a Young MFG paired with JP bolt).
    Last edited by BrigandTwoFour; 02-06-13 at 13:43.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    They've been interested in trying out a .308 platform, but didn't want to drop the money for a Larue, KAC, or GAP. But they also didn't trust DPMS.
    Exactly why I went with the M&P10. At $1550+ tax (after rebate) it can't be beat.

I will get pics of the BCG up tomorrow morning, NLT 9am EST.

Feedback Score
    Clyde Armory just got these in, but the ones in stock are only for LE/Mil. Nice rifle! Really light for a .308.

Feedback Score

M&P10 Pics

A hasty review and pics are in my blog post here

I hope it is informative.

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast