Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P10 .308 - SHOT news?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: S&W M&P10 .308 - SHOT news?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    I got the standard model about a month ago. I tried installing Magpul MOE handguards and they wouldn't go on - the heat shield interferes with the humongous barrel diameter near the nut. I'm not sure if removing the heat shield will fix this, because I then tried a set of Cavalry Arms handguards (the fat M4 sized ones, I think they call them C6) and found that, with no heat shield interference, they were about 1/8" too long from interface end to end, and also may have had some issue with the diameter of the barrel nut or its proximity to another part of the delta ring assembly on this rifle.

I haven't tried any free float handguards.

If anyone bought one of these in the Magpul flavor, could you post photos of the inside of the MOE handguard, ideally next to an off the shelf MOE AR15 handguard for comparison?
    Sorry, I should've specified free float. I did, however, buy a MOE for it & didn't have any issues installing it. It was a little tight at the heat shields but it still slipped over. I'd like to free float it now though.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    I got the standard model about a month ago. I tried installing Magpul MOE handguards and they wouldn't go on - the heat shield interferes with the humongous barrel diameter near the nut. I'm not sure if removing the heat shield will fix this, because I then tried a set of Cavalry Arms handguards (the fat M4 sized ones, I think they call them C6) and found that, with no heat shield interference, they were about 1/8" too long from interface end to end, and also may have had some issue with the diameter of the barrel nut or its proximity to another part of the delta ring assembly on this rifle.

I haven't tried any free float handguards.

If anyone bought one of these in the Magpul flavor, could you post photos of the inside of the MOE handguard, ideally next to an off the shelf MOE AR15 handguard for comparison?
    I installed an off the shelf MOE AR15 hand guard. It was too snug for my tast. I had to force it over the barrel near the barrel nut. I took a dremel tool and shaved the ears off the top rear of the heat shield and it fit fine. One of these day's, when I get caught up, I will probably get a free float rail.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    So what's the verdict on this then? Good starting point for a 308 SPR type build?
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    So what's the verdict on this then? Good starting point for a 308 SPR type build?
    If by build, you mean just a furniture swap, then yeah. You'll run into issues if you want to swap barrels or BCGs. I did put an SR25 BCG in mine just for grins & it wouldn't lock up. You'd have to swap out both but it seems the jury is still out on that. Some have had issues with BCM CHs not working, in others they work fine. YMMV

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    IMHO, and based on only a little shooting, this is a very good off the shelf complete .308 AR package, but it does not seem to be a good platform to modify or build on. Too many features seem to be proprietary and of limited or no compatibility with what has become the dominant .308 design for modifying (DPMS dimensions; I don't know if/how closely those match KAC SR-25 dimensions). So far, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this if someone's going to keep it as the package that arrives. But for a SPR or precision type rifle, or if you just want to swap parts for fun, I would be thinking of the usual .308 suspects (KAC, LMT, Larue, and maybe Colt's 901, but it also has its own pattern in many ways).

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

M&P10 Modifications

Here are a couple of videos I just posted on YouTube. The first shows the M&P10 ringing steel out to 300 yards. The second shows the modification you can do to the BCM Gunfighter CH.

Ringing steel out to 300 yards

BCM Gunfighter Mod

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Does the CMR work with the m&p10?
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    Does the CMR work with the m&p10?
    The current .308 CMR is too tall. Stickman mentioned that Monty will make a low version for 308s if there is enough interest.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A CMR world be great, something 15"+would be perfect.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by beavis612 View Post
    What did you use for a barrel nut wrench?

Doc Williams
    U.S. Army Combat Medic/Flight Medic Retired
    1987 - 2013
    Flight Medic Class 4-95

http://www.dustoff.org/

Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast