Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P10 .308 - SHOT news?

Feedback Score
    Oh yes, well done. Can you post a pic of the barrel under the handguards? How does the profile diameter underneath compare to gas block-muzzle?
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    I just saw one of these M&P 10 rifles at my local gun store.
    to my (un-trained) eye, it looks Very nice. I never considered a .308 or AR-10 style rifle before but I am intrigued by this. Look and feel similar to M&P-15 rifles just scaled-up. the barrel seems thin? and flares-out to meet the flash-hider on the front.
    The version I was looking at was the flat-top, no front-sight just a railed gas-block (same as pictured in Bedouin2W's blog post link, above).
    The gas block appeared to be clamped-on? There were 2 horizontal screws along the bottom.
    I was only seeing it in-store so didn't get a chance to disassemble it.
    They had several on the rack, price was $1800.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SurplusShooter View Post
    several on the rack, price was $1800.
    That is amazing in this climate.

About the GB, being clamped on, is it also pinned, or installed using rockset, or...? I'd be concerned if it's merely torqued.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    disclaimer: I am new to AR-10 style rifles....
    Quote Originally Posted by carbinero View Post
    That is amazing in this climate.
    do you mean "smokin' good price, I would buy it" or "too high, panic price" ?

I'd be really curious to know: how does it stack-up against the DPMS LR-308; which was out before and at a lower price-point?

About the GB, being clamped on, is it also pinned, or installed using rockset, or...? I'd be concerned if it's merely torqued.
    I looked for a Pin but on the bottom the only pin I saw was for the Sling Swivel attachment (that pin was too low to grab the barrel).
    Last edited by SurplusShooter; 01-31-13 at 16:00.

Feedback Score
    Amazing, like, why haven't they sold them all on gunbroker already?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Held it at Shot. Is LITE! I made a couple reliability suggestions, but other than that, it looked good.

C4
    What reliability issues did you see?

Feedback Score

S&W M&P10 .308 - SHOT news?

Quote Originally Posted by Bedouin2W View Post
    Paid $1,650 + tax - not factoring in the S&W $100 rebate gives to MIL/LEO - for the optics ready version (no BUIS).
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...1_v012913a.pdf
    The rebate form on the Smith website says 5.56 rifles only for the rebate. Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky130 View Post
    The rebate form on the Smith website says 5.56 rifles only for the rebate. Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I just saw that... When I looked earlier I only read where it did not include the M&P15 Sport and M&P15-22. When they made that rebate the M&P10 hadn't hit the market yet. Hopefully they'll amend their rebate to include the M&P10.

Feedback Score
    Oh yes, well done. Can you post a pic of the barrel under the handguards? How does the profile diameter underneath compare to gas block-muzzle?
    Quote Originally Posted by carbinero
    I'll post a pics tomorrow morning of the barrel sans handguards and of the GB.

This was my first gun review, in addition to it being my first .308, so I am still learning. Also, any future gun reviews on my blog will be have nicer settings, better lighting, etc... Moving into a house soon that gives me a basement that'll give me a place for my tools, pegboard, and shop lights. I took these pictures this morning in my living room with my 3 month old puppy providing ample distractions.

Feedback Score

BCG and Buffer

Sorry for the constant updates, but I am watching a cleaning video on youtube for the Armalite AR-10. I've also watched a few videos on the DPMS LR-308 so I can compare and contrast it the M&P10. While seeing these, I have noticed a few more similarities and differences between the AR-10 and M&P10.

The buffer looks a lot smaller than the Armalite AR-10's buffer. I noticed The M&P10's buffer was proportionately smaller than an AR15's buffer to buffer spring. I should have broken out an AR15 buffer to see how the M&P10's buffer compares to it, but it is absolutely smaller than the Armalite AR-10 buffer. This is in addition to being kind of beat up where I could tell it had hit the buffer retainer pin more than a few times. The picture I posted in my review did a poor job of showing the wear on the buffer.

The BCG looks like a hybrid of the DPMS and Armalite BCGs. The shape of the bolt carrier is like a DPMS in that the bolt carrier is being rounded on the left side like an Armalite AR-10 bolt carrier. Another DPMS characteristic of the M&P10 BCG is the bolt assembly has three gas rings, as opposed to the Armalite single gas ring. The firing pin is almost identical in appearance to the Armalite AR-10 firing pin, with an additional spring to help prevent inertia of bolt closing sending the firing pin forward (or at least according to this video). The DPMS does not have this spring.

Anyways, just some more observations I noticed.

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast