G&R Tactical
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 117

Thread: Trigger test - Which trigger is "best" for you?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,626
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by septic-tank13 View Post
    i just got off the phone with jason regarding an AR10 trigger. i was using the AR15 trigger on all kinds of ammo and ran into trouble with surplus stuff in 5.56... as a result i continued the test with ONLY 223rem ammo and no more troubles existed.

    he's sending me an AR10 trigger and we'll give it a whirl. i'll be adding it to the line up when i'm finished.

    thanks!
    Im going down there Friday and will let you know how the new trigger works out. Jason is a nice guy I was on the phone with him for 30mins or so today.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    29
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    Very nice writeup!

    Question on the Armalite, what is the span of weight ranges achievable given you can adjust the diconnector spring to three different settings? And what stage does that affect, just the first?
    we're adding the overall trigger pull weight, so you'll feel the change in weight for the first stage. the second stage, in which to break the sear, will remain constant.

    each setting is advertised to reflect around 8oz in felt pull weight. however, in most cases the change per setting is closer to 4 or 5 ounces in actual pull weight. as we coil the spring tighter, we add weight. so to add weight set the spring closer to the floor, to lighten weight take spring up closer to the disconnector.

    does this help?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    1,857
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by septic-tank13 View Post
    we're adding the overall trigger pull weight, so you'll feel the change in weight for the first stage. the second stage, in which to break the sear, will remain constant.

    each setting is advertised to reflect around 8oz in felt pull weight. however, in most cases the change per setting is closer to 4 or 5 ounces in actual pull weight. as we coil the spring tighter, we add weight. so to add weight set the spring closer to the floor, to lighten weight take spring up closer to the disconnector.

    does this help?
    Yes it does. So you have about a 10oz span; the baseline, baseline +5oz, and baseline +10oz, correct? And it only affects the first stage portion.

    By any chance, did you test a Tactical 2-stage trigger? Armalite sells two versions, they look the same, the only thing I can think is the NM are finished better on bearing surfaces and maybe have tuned springs. The NM goes for about $150 street price, the Tactical version goes for about $100. The Tactical is their stock trigger they put in all of their carbines if I'm not mistaken.

    I'm running two triggers right now (actually, one, with another awaiting to be tested/broken in), a RRA NM two-stage and a Bill Springfield-tuned CMT trigger. Bill's is a single stage, but the difference between the gritty stock trigger and his tuned version is pretty remarkable. I asked for him to give me the 4lb trigger, I don't have a pull gauge, but it feels pretty kick ass during dry firing. He does all this while retaining stock springs. As I get more time on it, I'll report out.

    Thanks again for performing this comparison.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    29
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    .....and a Bill Springfield-tuned CMT trigger. Bill's is a single stage, but the difference between the gritty stock trigger and his tuned version is pretty remarkable. I asked for him to give me the 4lb trigger, I don't have a pull gauge, but it feels pretty kick ass during dry firing. He does all this while retaining stock springs. ...
    i think i've heard of this fellow. is he the guy doing this in a turn around for $35? somebody on ar15.com may have mentioned him, or it may have been another chap...

    either way, i will caution anyone against a scenario where we take mil spec hammers and sears and we begin grinding and polishing. the surface hardening on most of them is a few thousands, and you can easily move past this threshold in a hurry while doing your polish job. i recognize that this will work fine for some folks as their rigs don't see enough use to wear past surface hardening and become problematic. or they simply don't put enough rounds down range to wear too much even though the surface hardened portion of the engagement points may be already gone. either way, you're set up for a pending disappointment. plinking out the back door isn't a tough spot to be in when the firearm doubles and/or quits. kickin' down doors for a living would make me reconsider my choice of triggers quick, fast, and in a hurry.

    food for thought.

    i don't want to have anyone think i'm condemning this fellow considering i don't know his process. i'm speaking generally.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    1,857
    Feedback Score
    0
    There seems to be some debate as to whether or not current FCGs are surface-hardened or through-hardened.

    Bill's work came well recommended from many folks at TOS, some who have used his triggers in 3-day classes w/o issue. Bill provided some of his thoughts on his work, status of quality of triggers, hammers and disconnectors, need to properly lube/maintain trigger, maintenance intervals for parts replacement, etc.

    This is for a fun gun, I'm not terribly worried about problems based on the number of favorable reports I've read, but I'll be vigilant.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    214
    Feedback Score
    0
    blank

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,626
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by phoric View Post
    Any updates on the Timney AR10 trigger? I have the 3# AR15 version on the way now, I'm wondering if I should return it for one with a heavier spring (they also list 4 lbs and a 4 1/2 lbs units) so I can shoot surplus ammo, or the AR10 model.
    The heavier hammer spring with the Timney dosent have anything to do with the trigger pull. If you have problems you can contact them and they can send you out a AR10 hammer spring that will take care of your problems.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    29
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by phoric View Post
    Any updates on the Timney AR10 trigger? I have the 3# AR15 version on the way now, I'm wondering if I should return it for one with a heavier spring (they also list 4 lbs and a 4 1/2 lbs units) so I can shoot surplus ammo, or the AR10 model.
    just got it wednesday. i installed it tonight and lent the AR10 to a friend as he wanted to run a few hundred through it. that'll loosen it up and i can test it then...

    the AR10 trigger does have slightly heavier springs, but keep in mind it also has a much higher mass hammer. the combination makes the difference on the hard primers and such. the lock time is a bit slower, but frankly in this scenario you don't get something for nothing. lower lock time is certainly better, but being relative you have to keep it all in perspective. i'd much rather have a reliable ignition source as opposed to a few miliseconds difference in lock time for all practical purposes.

    more to come...

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,626
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by septic-tank13 View Post
    just got it wednesday. i installed it tonight and lent the AR10 to a friend as he wanted to run a few hundred through it. that'll loosen it up and i can test it then...

    the AR10 trigger does have slightly heavier springs, but keep in mind it also has a much higher mass hammer. the combination makes the difference on the hard primers and such. the lock time is a bit slower, but frankly in this scenario you don't get something for nothing. lower lock time is certainly better, but being relative you have to keep it all in perspective. i'd much rather have a reliable ignition source as opposed to a few miliseconds difference in lock time for all practical purposes.

    more to come...
    Septic have John or Jason mail you a AR10 srping for the AR15 Timney you were having trouble with on the hard primers. I just installed one im mine and will be testing it out tomotrrow. What type of 5.56 were you having problems with? Im taking some Privy out and im trying to see what else I can dig up without upsetting my ammo balances.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    214
    Feedback Score
    0
    blank

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •