Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Trigger test - Which trigger is "best" for you?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phoric View Post
    I went to the range today and sighted in my CompM4, and put a few different types of ammo through my new setup with the Timney trigger (stock hammer springs). I shot about 200 rounds, all 55gr FMJ. Some Georgia Arms canned heat, some Federal/American Eagle, but mostly Prvi Partisan.

I did experience a single dud or light primer strike with the Prvi Partisan. I couldn't tell which it was, the primer strike looked normal to me, so perhaps it was a dud... not quite sure.

Anyway this was my first time shooting this new upper, so it's time to clean up and I'll put some more rounds through it soon. Other than the dud everything went well.
    Did you save the round? If so try it in another gun or try it again with your Timney to find out if it was the round or trigger spring.

Feedback Score
    blank

Feedback Score
    sounds promising. i'm testing an Timney AR10 trigger currently. it wouldn't quite drop in the 10 year old AR10 i have, so a slight mod was necessary... more information to follow.

Feedback Score
    John gave me one of their AR10 triggers to test. Now i just gotta get the AR10

Feedback Score
    Great info! Very well laid out imo.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm looking at upgrading my trigger from the stock one, I'm thinking I want a single stage, but I'm unsure if any of the ones on the market are reliable enough for a hard use gun. My criteria are as follows: lighter trigger pull (improvement over stock, mine feels >10lb.) goes bang EVERY time (no light primer strikes, etc) good for extended use with no malfunctions (no doubling after a few thousand rounds) and somewhat resistant to accidental/negligent discharge (by this I mean it is heavy enough to keep from firing unintended by snagging on gear/brush).

Any single stage triggers you'd suggest for a hard use gun with the previous criteria met?

Or are the two stage triggers more suited to my needs?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BushmasterFanBoy View Post
    I'm looking at upgrading my trigger from the stock one, I'm thinking I want a single stage, but I'm unsure if any of the ones on the market are reliable enough for a hard use gun. My criteria are as follows: lighter trigger pull (improvement over stock, mine feels >10lb.) goes bang EVERY time (no light primer strikes, etc) good for extended use with no malfunctions (no doubling after a few thousand rounds) and somewhat resistant to accidental/negligent discharge (by this I mean it is heavy enough to keep from firing unintended by snagging on gear/brush).

Any single stage triggers you'd suggest for a hard use gun with the previous criteria met?

Or are the two stage triggers more suited to my needs?
    two stage is fine. if so, a no BS unit that is uber reliable is the armalite. in single stage a no BS reliable unit for defending my life would either be the alexander arms unit or the accuracy speaks unit. both were simple and operated with full power springs.

just an opinion. there are many that are suitable, but those would be my personal choices.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by septic-tank13 View Post
    two stage is fine. if so, a no BS unit that is uber reliable is the armalite. in single stage a no BS reliable unit for defending my life would either be the alexander arms unit or the accuracy speaks unit. both were simple and operated with full power springs.

just an opinion. there are many that are suitable, but those would be my personal choices.
    Septic-tank, I just bought the Alexander Arms unit. Can you tell me a bit more about its reliability, possible issues (on a hard use weapon), and what exactly the allen screws adjust in the trigger assembly?

ETA: What about their shipping time? Did the unit get sent out quickly? I need mine very soon. (Literally yesterday)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BushmasterFanBoy View Post
    Septic-tank, I just bought the Alexander Arms unit. Can you tell me a bit more about its reliability, possible issues (on a hard use weapon), and what exactly the allen screws adjust in the trigger assembly?

ETA: What about their shipping time? Did the unit get sent out quickly? I need mine very soon. (Literally yesterday)

firstly, if you're in a jam and need it right away, i'd be calling them to make sure they know that is the case. being no different than many companies, they source material and services (like hardening) from other vendors and many times they are at the mercy or work ethic of someone else. there is no excuse for late delivery, but frankly we live with it in this industry on a daily basis. i've had back orders from AA, but i've always been in close contact with them and as far as organizations go, they usually are able to give me a "no BS" assessment of when said backorders will ship.

that said, give em' a ring to make sure they know you're in a pinch. communication never hurt a scenario like you describe.

the screws are very simple. take a close look and visualize where they are located. they are on either side of the trigger pin (IE fulcrum) thus they dictate how far you can pull the trigger rearward and how far it will return forward. (think of teeter totter on the playground as the trigger spine and the length of the kids legs as the screws - the longer the legs/screws the less movement is available for teetering/trigger travel...) basically we are talking about engagement and overtravel. reset is another term, but we're talking more in the instance about single stage vs. two stage.

AA's trigger is built barely over center, so you can glide along without feeling much camming at all and essentially leave in a great deal of creep, essentially turning it into a two stage trigger, or simply tighten the screw and adjust the creep out, making it a single stage trigger. the other screw is for overtravel - more or less...

the trigger i used in the test was .050" over center and the standard build Bill sells today is .005" IIRC... you should feel nearly no camming whatsoever. the reliability is top notch IMO. Bill builds his triggers to the most extreme of conditions and to the caters to the warfighter first and foremost. reliability and function are his staples when he designs a piece. buy and operate with confidence. all parts can fail, but this piece isn't one i'd worry about routinely...

he's built a true high performance trigger and those folks who've been around triggers a bit can tell the difference. kudos on your purchase.

if i can help in any way, let me know.

-ST13
    Last edited by septic-tank13; 05-12-08 at 11:53. Reason: additional comments

Feedback Score
    How does the LMT 2 stage come up?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast