Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Trigger test - Which trigger is "best" for you?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

Following The Katar's advice (to replace a Timney trigger in my home defense carbine), when my Timney trigger seized (hammer wouldn't drop) on me at the range a couple weeks ago, I replaced it with with an RRA 2-stage.

I WILL give some props to Timney's customer service, though - they replaced it with a brand new identical trigger - new in the package - no questions asked, and FREE OF CHARGE! It was their Gen.I trigger that failed, and I got their Gen.II trigger out of the deal!

I'll put the Timney aside as an "emergency spare," but the RRA 2-stage is veddy, veddy nice, now installed in my POF.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score

Drop in?

Quote Originally Posted by b_saan View Post
    Re: the Timney, I have 2 and neither has had any FTF light strikes in thousands of rounds of LC XM193 or Privi 5.56, however if you are concerned about that issue the free or very very inexpensive AR10 replacement spring from Timney will ease your peace of mind.
    ARRRGH! I just bought and installed a Timney AR-15 trigger and did not know any of this! Wish I'd known before I bought and installed! I have a ton of LC XM193 and that's all I shoot. Hopefully I will have the same luck that you have had with the XM193.

On another note I should first say that I'm not very metalworking-minded and the "drop-in" nature of the Timney appealed to me. Two things however caused me to be forever wary of the pastoral "drop-in" term.

Getting the two screws in afterwards was not the easiest trick that I've ever pulled. Contrary to the website instructions, the extensions of the springs lie directly across the teeny holes into which you are to place the tiny screws. Therefore you must use "lord knows what type of tool" to spread the extensions away and then set and rotate the screws.

All of this would have been much easier had I:

-Used a magnetized teeny hex wrench as opposed to the one supplied, or
    -Enlisted gravity as my friend and performed the entire operation upside down

'Course I'm a moron but it was a definite three handed, three-quarter hour operation for me. BUT WAIT, there's more!

When I went to replace the trigger group retaining pins, the front slid in and out without resistance and the rear, dangerously loose.

Solution? Small JP Anti-Walk pins from Brownell's, of course. Hey, while I'm at it, a cool new Mag-Pul MOE trigger guard. Drop-in too!

Well, the anti-walk pins are screwed together with the supplied 4-40 screws. (What kind of tool is required for a 4-40, I asked me self?) Further the instructions stated that you should use 242 Loctite (blue) and you might need a 5/32" carbide reamer, in addition to your 1/8" punch of course.

Luckily I did not end up needing the reamer because when I asked the hardware store guy for one, his eyes glazed over as if I was asking to be directed to the aisle that had the MRI machines.

But all of it went together smoothly with the aid of the wife's magnifying glass. By the way, 4-40 screws are manipulated with any darn .05" hex that you have lying around.

As for the MOE trigger guard, well that was easy. Simply use the 1/8" punch to release and swing it down from the forward portion of the trigger guard. It releases? After about fifteen minutes it will.

Next, take your 1/8" punch and dislodge the rear retaining pin but "use care not to damage the lower receiver". Damage? Oh, yeah. That pin was put in on a one way trip. I smacked that thing harder than good sense would allow. That and a goodly amount of Break Free broke it free.

Drop in? Nuthin' is.
    Last edited by ProPilot; 10-26-09 at 18:08.

Feedback Score
    So.... AR Gold or Geiselle SSA ?????
    "Everyone has been given a gift in life. Some people have a gift for science and some have a flair for art. And warriors have been given the gift of aggression. They would no more misuse this gift than a doctor would misuse his healing arts, but they yearn for the opportunity to use their gift to help others. These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs. These are our warrior"

Feedback Score
    Have you got the chance to test the new Wilson Combat triggers? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    How do two stage triggers like the SSA work for rapid 3-gun shooting? Would a single stage like a timney work better?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by singlestack View Post
    Have you got the chance to test the new Wilson Combat triggers? Thanks.
    The Wilson trigger looks identical to the Timney but its like 100 more.
    There is not such thing as too many guns, knives, and the accessories to go with them.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."-Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    I was able to get my hands on a Geiselle SSA trigger and I am completely sold on these units.
    "Everyone has been given a gift in life. Some people have a gift for science and some have a flair for art. And warriors have been given the gift of aggression. They would no more misuse this gift than a doctor would misuse his healing arts, but they yearn for the opportunity to use their gift to help others. These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs. These are our warrior"

Feedback Score
    smokenssz,
    The Timney trigger, and our trigger are COMPLETELY different on the inside. The only things in common are that they are triggers for AR15's, and that they have modular, drop in construction. If you have any questions regarding our triggers, just let me know. If the OP wants this discussion in his thread, fine, if not, please ask in the Wilson Combat forum.
    Often Imitated-NEVER Duplicated
    Wilson Combat Online Representative
    m4carbine.net SITE SPONSOR
    www.wilsoncombat.com
    info@wilsoncombat.com
    (800) 955-4856

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsoncombatrep View Post
    smokenssz,
    The Timney trigger, and our trigger are COMPLETELY different on the inside. The only things in common are that they are triggers for AR15's, and that they have modular, drop in construction. If you have any questions regarding our triggers, just let me know. If the OP wants this discussion in his thread, fine, if not, please ask in the Wilson Combat forum.
    I'm not trying to step on anyones feet I was stating the obvious. Wilson triggers were brought up in this discussion "Have you got the chance to test the new Wilson Combat triggers? Thanks." In my statement I was not saying Wilson triggers are a bad product however it is more expensive. I'm always up for learning new information so if someone can enlighten me on the internal differences on the Wilson triggers great. I'm always opened to hear their good or bad experiences with them. I'm all for getting good knowledge.
    Last edited by smokenssz; 12-24-09 at 15:03.
    There is not such thing as too many guns, knives, and the accessories to go with them.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."-Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    I just recieved my new Timney AR-15 trigger this morning. For the record, I have never taken a lower apart. It took me a total of 20 mins to install. I figured out a trick to handle installing the 2 extra screws. I took a pair of needle nose and pulled the spring wire up and onto the hammer. My initial impression is very posotive. There is virtually 0 take up and the trigger breaks very cleanly around 3lbs. It also has a very short and crisp reset. It is a night and day difference between it and the stocker. I will post after a trip to the range.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast