Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a new .308.....Winchester, Remington, or Tikka

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Buying a new .308.....Winchester, Remington, or Tikka

I am planning on purchasing a new .308 that will be used for Whitetail Deer in PA, and possibly some future hunts out west. The three brands that I am considering are Winchester, Remington, and Tikka.

The availability of aftermarket parts and accessories makes the Remington and Winchester rifles appealing. It seems like the availability of aftermarket parts is improving on the Tikka's.

My longest shot in PA would be around 300 yards where I hunt.

I have wanted a .308 for a long time and I am finally going to take the plunge soon. The Tikka Lite and new Winchester offerings look sweet. All of the Winchesters that I have owned have been great shooters.

Then again, my brother just bought a Remington 5R, and that gun is just sweet.

I am looking at a $1000 price range. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'd search the gun auctions for a lightly used Winchester Model 70 short action Featherweight or Carbine version, simply to achieve the old style open trigger mechanism. If the trigger choice doesn't matter to you, then by all means go for one of the FN built Winchesters.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JStor View Post
    Winchester Model 70
    I was going to say the same thing. Either that or a Remi 700. I love my SPS.

Feedback Score
    For a straight-up hunting rifle, I would go with the Tikka. The action is sweet, the rifle is light, and what aftermarket mods do you need to really make on a hunting rifle? From what I have seen, they are also quite consistant in terms of accuracy from rifle to rifle from the factory.

Your brother's 5R is sweet ... until you have to hump it around for three days in the bush.

FWIW ... my hunting rifle is a circa 1968 Remington 700 CDL I bought off of a distant cousin for $150 a few years back. Since that sale, he isn't so distant anymore.

Feedback Score
    Depends on what kind of hunting you do in PA.

If you're that guy who can see your truck from your deer stand (LOTS of those here in southern PA), the only thing that matters is the brand. If you hike in, make sure it's a rifle you can carry comfortably.

You can't go wrong with the Rem 700 action. It comes in a few flavors, pick your candy. Stay away from the 770, however. They're nothing like a 700.

Tikka makes a fine rifle as well.

My brother uses a Browning. He's using the shorter "carbine" looking rifle, it's one sweet shooter and you can carry it all day. He's had it for years, and I believe it was about $1000 when he got it.

Other rifles to consider are Savage. They've come pretty far from being the "bargain" rifles they were years ago. Their new Accutrigger system is a workaround for lawsuits. They're set really light (mine came at about 2.5-3 pounds), but have that safety bar in the middle to stop them from getting sued. Takes a little getting accustomed to, but I have the Model 10 LE "Carbine" and it's a fine shooter. Little heavy, but it's become my stalking rifle for coyote and white tail due to it's short length. It's what I'm using this year for the coyote roundup, and with luck my brother and I will be taking the winner right out of the back field here. Granted, it's not a 700 action, and it never will be, but it does the job quite well.

Honestly, we can make recommendations all day, but at the $1000 price mark you can pick from a lot of fine rifles. The .308 is an inherently accurate round, and there is a lot to choose from that will be considered a quality rifle. The only question is what you like. Wood or composite furniture? Bull barrel or traditional? You want irons or not?

Feedback Score
    You won’t go wrong with any of those choices. Tikka is very under rated and I would think hard before passing it by. Not sure what aftermarket parts you’re looking at, all I’d get is bases, rings and good glass.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I hunted with a 700 adl for years before i sold it to fund an optic. Last month i picked up a tikka t3 lite ss in 308. The action is out of this world smooth. The trigger is one of the best factory triggers ive felt... insanely crisp, set at 3lbs from the factory, user adjustable from 2-4 (if im remembering correctly). Between that and the accuracy (guarantee of 1moa with good ammo) made it a clear choice for a hunting rifle. For a tactical rifle id lean toward the 700 because of stock and trigger choices, but for an out of the box, good to go hunting rifle, the tikka has a lot going for it.

Edit to say: any of the picks are great. Give each a fair look and choose!
    Last edited by SpyderMan2k4; 01-18-13 at 12:23.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, ASA, and other fun shotgun things.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Yesterday I ordered the Tikka Lite .308. Now I just need to order a Scope, Rings, and Bases! Once I get it to the range I will report back. Thanks for all of the info.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Buying a new .308.....Winchester, Remington, or Tikka

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    Yesterday I ordered the Tikka Lite .308. Now I just need to order a Scope, Rings, and Bases! Once I get it to the range I will report back. Thanks for all of the info.
    Nice! I look forward to seein the range report
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, ASA, and other fun shotgun things.

Feedback Score

Have 2 of the 3

I am a PA hunter, too. I have a Rem LTR 308, Tika T3 stainless 308 and Win Featherweight (.280). As far as a walking rifle, I like the Win or Tika over the LTR. LTR is my stand 1st rifle due to balance with the oversized for deer 2-12 scope on it. I have also been admiring the Win Stainless .308 the others mentioned.

All 3 are very accurate. One issue I have with the T3 is that the factory scope rings are garbage. They are difficult to keep snug even with blue loc-tite. Recently got an EGW base and am in the process of getting a 2-7 scope and better rings. A fellow at the range suggested the stainless receiver and aluminum factory rings were not good. First group will be tight and on target. Second group with warm barrel with shift impact and increase in size.

Let me know if you have any similar issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast