Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Streamlight's new 630 Lumen TLR-1 HL

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWATcop556 View Post
    Just curious why you feel this way. In your opinion other than the mount what else makes the TLR superior to the X series?

My experience is exactly the opposite. I've killed three dept. issued TLRs (two LEDs and one circuit board) and have seen more lights launched down range when the mounting screw loosens under fire.
    I've owned a number of TLRs and have never experienced a failure of any sort. The same cannot be said for the X300 I used to own.

Mounting screw fix: blue loctite
    Last edited by Shao; 01-18-13 at 07:44.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    Well to make a long story short, I've used both on my 870. The TLR-1 has had at least a few thousands shells through it through the years and never loosened up or came off - in fact, it almost looked new the day I sold it. I sold it for a Surefire X300. When I took it to the woods to check it out, I managed to get about 40 rounds off before the X300 blew off my Surefire rail (Surefire light on Surefire rail - go figure) for no apparent reason. There was no damage to the light so reattached it, put about 100 more rounds of 12 pellet Dynamit Nobel 00 Buck through it and.. guess what happened? It blew off again! I cannot contribute it to use error as I've installed a multitude of weapon lights throughout the years to all manner of guns and have never had one blow off twice in less than 200 rounds (scratch that, had a FoxFury blow off my 870 once after about 50 rounds, broke the plastic housing - sent it in for a replacement which I promptly sold).
    You were probably using the wrong latch. The U latch does not fit well on a MIL1913 rail.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBecker 72 View Post
    You were probably using the wrong latch. The U latch does not fit well on a MIL1913 rail.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    Nope - I used the P latch... No play whatsoever once the light was mounted... Take in mind that I'm a Surefire guy and will choose Surefire 99% of time over any other light, in fact, I'm don't even really like Streamlight and have only owned one of their handhelds (which I traded because is was... blah) but I just believe the TLR series is better engineered.

EDIT: and before anyone jumps in, I've been rail mounting accessories and lights for as long as I can remember them existing - so I am no amateur in this field.
    Last edited by Shao; 01-18-13 at 07:57.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Of course I just bought the TLR-1s a few weeks ago.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash1023 View Post
    Ill be the first of many to say that's TOOOOOOO bright.......
    too bright for what?..
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    I've owned a number of TLRs and have never experienced a failure of any sort. The same cannot be said for the X300 I used to own.

Mounting screw fix: blue loctite
    Fair enough.
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    too bright for what?..
    Are you serious?

This have been beaten to death several times now but I'll go over it quickly.

600+ lumens out of a pistol light is 3x what u need and 3x what you want.

Even the 200lumen lights can cause a temporary loss in vision of the guy behind the gun. Not including team mates.
    Have you ever cleared a dark room with a bright flashlight? If you have you'd know that it ruins your night vision for a minute or so.
    Can you imagine doing it with a 600+lumen light.
    You would be temporarily blind along with everyone else in the room.
    And that's just 1 of the many reasons.
    If it had a half power setting then maybe I'd get one because sometimes more is better... But that's about 2% of the time in reality
    Last edited by Vash1023; 01-18-13 at 12:19.
    "I must study politics and war so that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy."
    -John Adams
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Albert Einstein
    “Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I'm using 500 lumen lights and so far no issues. I'm not saying it might not be a little much in some small rooms but overall not near the issue it gets portrayed as on the inter-nut.

Where it is really beneficial is outdoor. No such thing as too much light there.

Only issue I had was entering a room with full length wall mirrors on one side but a 60 lumen 6P would have been a problem.

I'm leaning towards this notion that the lights are too many lumens these days are stories on the Internet unfounded in real world apps.
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWATcop556 View Post
    I'm using 500 lumen lights and so far no issues. I'm not saying it might not be a little much in some small rooms but overall not near the issue it gets portrayed as on the inter-nut.

Where it is really beneficial is outdoor. No such thing as too much light there.

Only issue I had was entering a room with full length wall mirrors on one side but a 60 lumen 6P would have been a problem.

I'm leaning towards this notion that the lights are too many lumens these days are stories on the Internet unfounded in real world apps.
    Yep... Lumen ratings are a selling point. The extra light is nice but in a lot of cases, I'd rather have longer run-time. Who wants to be changing batteries all the time? You hit the nail on the head, brother - the 200 lumen Surefire head on my 870 is plenty enough, maybe overkill in many situations. It all depends on the beam profile though. Flood is great for illuminating a large area and would be better served within a squad - a more focused beam can be better for an individual shooter - allowing a point of reference of aim even - and often allowing greater useful distance.

Everyone is talking about mounting their lights at 12 o'clock - well I don't believe that these new ULTRA output CREE XM-L units will work as well in that mounting position - the spill back could blind the shooter as well as the perp/opponent. My two cents.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash1023 View Post
    Are you serious?

This have been beaten to death several times now but I'll go over it quickly.

600+ lumens out of a pistol light is 3x what u need and 3x what you want.

Even the 200lumen lights can cause a temporary loss in vision of the guy behind the gun. Not including team mates.
    Have you ever cleared a dark room with a bright flashlight? If you have you'd know that it ruins your night vision for a minute or so.
    Can you imagine doing it with a 600+lumen light.
    You would be temporarily blind along with everyone else in the room.
    And that's just 1 of the many reasons.
    If it had a half power setting then maybe I'd get one because sometimes more is better... But that's about 2% of the time in reality
    am I being serious? yes.

have I ever "cleared" a room with a powerful light? yes...

just so you know, any light you use is going to degrade your night vision the first second you turn it on. that's not an issue unless you're just waking up from a deep sleep but if you are coming into a situation your night vision would already be degraded from whatever light you used to get you to the place you need to "clear". and you're not going to get dreaded "flashbulb" effect unless you shine it on a mirror or whatever...

the benefit of more light is that it gives a wider throw which is absolutely beneficial -- http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=...6&postcount=22

I remember when everyone said that the 65 lumen lights were all you need...
    never push a wrench...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast