Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vltor A5 Buffers , H0-H1-H2-H3-H4

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Vltor A5 Buffers , H0-H1-H2-H3-H4

I was curious what the company line is on their buffers. When I first bought the A5, which is fantastic, the buffer just said "A5".

Now they designate them :
    H0, 3.8 oz
    H1, 4.56oz
    H2, 5.33oz
    H3, 6.08oz
    H4, 6.83

I have the original A5, does anyone know the weight? I don't have such scales.

I also bought some spare H1 and H4 to tinker with on various AR's, going to run some test on SBR's and 16 inch middys etc.

I had a guy in Tucson, tell me he thought the :
    H0, 16 inch Mids , "its like a regular H buffer"
    H1 was for 14.5 and up guns or Mid length uppers...
    H2, H3 SBR's
    H4, over-gassed

I would love to know what the real company line is. Its easy enough, if you need a heavier buffer, you get a heavier buffer.

Again, what is the original A5 weight?
    What do you think about "Joe Tucson's" theory.

If you have an A5, tell us what you run it on and how it functions. And of course which buffer. Should be interesting.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 01-19-13 at 01:45.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I actually called VLTOR on this issue and was told that the MOE buffer is an H-2 in their list of buffer weights.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The H2 buffer, per Vltor, is the "standard" buffer and is the one supplied with the A5 kits. It was the original buffer supplied with the original kits.

I have no experience with this, but I was told the H1 and H0 buffers were issued to solve the problem with properly gassed 14.5 middys (BCM) as the H2 was too heavy. Most quality 16" middys will run with an H2.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I wouldn't put much into what someone at Vltor stated unless they were an actual engineer with knowledge of the system.

I run my Colt 6920 barrel/BCM build with a Vltor -3 and green Springco and I am pretty sure we can agree it's not overgassed.

I have also run the same buffer on a 20" rifle (I need to reconfirm that).

I believe that I also ran a midlength with that same buffer.

Ammo is going to be an obvious factor as well.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    BTW..I have buffers finally coming from three sources. All H2's. I ended up with extras because of backorders being sent to me and one I picked up in EE. I'll be running one in a DD 16" middy when they get here. I'll post my findings.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Running a A5H2 buffer (ETA: w/Springco green spring) with a BCM 14.5 midlength and LMT enhanced carrier/standard LMT bolt. It is uber soft shooting. Just put it together and ran 100 rounds through it last Tuesday. One failure to lock back using all PMC Bronze .223 55g FMJBT ammo. That ammo was solely used because it is by far the weakest ammo I use on a regular basis.

Happened on second mag with 3 rounds loaded. Will chalk that up to breaking in considering all parts were brand new. So far so good minus the one failure to lock back.

-Jax
    Last edited by jaxman7; 01-19-13 at 21:43.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    I recently did a small comparison between the H2 buffer, H4 buffer, standard VLTOR A5 spring, and the Springco Green spring.

All combinations ran without issue through a 16" Noveske Recon that hadn't been cleaned or lubed for ~500 rounds of Wolf. This was by no means an exhaustive test, but hopefully it will help contribute to the pool of knowledge.

The recoil was noticeably easier to manage with the H4 buffer. I couldn't feel a difference between the A5 spring and the Springco.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I was curious what the company line is on their buffers. When I first bought the A5, which is fantastic, the buffer just said "A5".

Now they designate them :
    H0, 3.8 oz
    H1, 4.56oz
    H2, 5.33oz
    H3, 6.08oz
    H4, 6.83

I have the original A5, does anyone know the weight? I don't have such scales.
    As AKdoug pointed out, the original A5 weight was 5.3 oz, and is the H2 designation.

the designation actually means something - the number of tungsten weights inside:
    H0, 4 steel
    H1, 1 tungsten, 3 steel
    H2, 2 tungsten, 2 steel (original/standard A5)
    H3, 3 tungsten, 1 steel
    H4, 4 tungsten

i shoot wolf, and the H2 works with most of my uppers. my KAC upper had issues with wolf, so i dropped in a H1 and it runs like a champ. H1 works with all upper and ammo combos i have. i'm using the spring that came with the A5 kit - a standard rifle spring.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I use the provided Vltor spring and I don't shoot any Wolf or Tula ammunition.

10.3 SBR
    A5 -4 (Heaviest) Shoots like a very loud 22lr. 100% reliability.

12.5 M16
    A5 -4 (Heaviest) Had to put a heavier buffer in to slow down the ROF while suppressed. Could not get less than 9 rounds per burst until I put the -4 in. Now I can do 3-4. Rifle shoots like the 10.3 unsuppressed. 100% reliability.

16 Middy
    A5 -3 Shoots with zero recoil. 100% reliability.

16 LW Middy
    A5 with no other markings. It was purchased when they were first released. I have not fired this gun yet as I have not decided on a muzzle device. After I get the muzzle device, I will play around with buffers until I get the right combo.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxman7 View Post
    Running a A5H2 buffer (ETA: w/Springco green spring) with a BCM 14.5 midlength and LMT enhanced carrier/standard LMT bolt. It is uber soft shooting. Just put it together and ran 100 rounds through it last Tuesday. One failure to lock back using all PMC Bronze .223 55g FMJBT ammo. That ammo was solely used because it is by far the weakest ammo I use on a regular basis.

Happened on second mag with 3 rounds loaded. Will chalk that up to breaking in considering all parts were brand new. So far so good minus the one failure to lock back.

-Jax
    I know, right!!!

Yeah, I actually just switched back to an A5H4 in my patrol carbine with the Springco Green. I have a buddy who gave me a NIB Wolff XP (+10%) rifle spring which actually feels almost identical to the Springco when hand cycling. I'm gonna experiment with the wolff at the range next week. After some breaking in, the gun runs 100% using this even on tula. Before I cleaned my carbine for my recent annual inspection, it ran with the A5H4 and Springco...locked back on empty even using AE .223 55gr in a Gawd-knows-how-old USGI 30rd mag and green follower. Locked back on empty every time.

I did find that rubbing some aeroshell 7 grease using my thumb and pointer finger all over the tail of the carrier (from the rear of the gas key back) has further smoothed things out. I literally got two small dabs and smeared what now only appears to be a dull sheen (you wouldn't know it wasn't Slip 2K EWL if I didn't tell you). Just a teeny amount of grease. But, now it cycles just like my old NIB carrier inside the A5 RE tube. Butter smooth. I also find that the McFarland gas ring takes more time to break in regardless of the carrier used than std gas rings.

I know some have had different levels of success from others here and every gun is a different beast unto itself. However, I CANNOT over-emphasize how important it is to lightly polish all interfacing surfaces on the carrier in order to reduce friction. Some flitz and a rag, or a low-rpm dremel and some jeweler's rouge and VERY light pressure (you just want to polish the "peaks" of the rough metal surface) does WONDERS for friction reduction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast