Thread: Newbie Here

Feedback Score

Newbie Here

Hi guys, I've been lurking around here for quite awhile and finally decided to write a post, this is my 1st post tho so PLEASE don't hold this against me as this will prob drone on. I've had both ar's and ak's in the past and so them for stuff for the house, etc....I know i was pretty dumb for doing that but hind-sight is 20-20. I was going to get another AR but after reading all the posts about them and after reading these posts about the ak's i think thats the way i'm going to go, because my main concern is utter reliability. I do tho have a couple of questions that you guys have probably heard a hundred times before, so please don't call the goon squad on me. I'm considering the 7.62 and 5.56 weapons as i'm familiar with both those rounds, i know very little about the 5.45x39mm. The 5.56 ak i'am told is pretty accurate as the 7.62 gun is not, i was leaning toward the 7.62 gun tho, i was hoping somebody could share their experiences with both of those guns on the range. Also what kinds of magazines are the best? i've seen alot of polymer mags advertised, are they any good or should i stay with a metal military mag? The guns i'm leaning toward are the Vector Underfolder in 7.62 or the Arsenal 106r, i think thats the one with the rail. I have also seen Yugo mags that hold the bolt open after the last shot. Guys, sorry for doing a post this long but i just wanted to ask those things.

Ed

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Welcome to M4C, lots of us tend to drone on so no issues here.

You will find the 5.56mm and 5.45mm guns more accurate than the 7.62mm, but not in a dramatic fashion.

From the choices that you listed I would go with the SLR-106 series... however, you may be interested in the SLR-107 series which is the same as the 106 except in 7.62x39mm.

Foreign magazines tend to be best, American AK's mags less so. The Bulgarian "waffle magazines" or traditional Eastern European steel magazines will probably be your best bet.

Feedback Score
    Vector Underfolder
    Pros:
    Standard and relatively cheap 7.62 mags (you could probably get 2x 7.62 mags for each 5.56 mag)
    Relatively cheap and available 7.62 ammo
    Rock solid company with good customer service

Cons:
    Underfolding stocks are not the most comfortable - you might want to try one before buying
    It will start your addiction to AKs

SLR106
    Pros:
    5.56 ammo widely available and will always have a US based source
    5.56 pretty darn accurate

Cons:
    5.56 ammo seems to increase in price every week lately
    Arsenal has a spotty record of having canted sights
    Arsenal has a slow response for warranty work - re: canted sights
    Expensive mags (cheapest I've seen is right around $22 each)
    Poor finishes on Arsenal guns - I swear that stuff is Bulgarian spray paint

That's what I can think of right now...

Spooky

Feedback Score

thanks

Thanks for the info, i guess i will have to look at the standard stock ak's also. I guess one of the reason's i still like the 7.62 gun is that the ammo is still pretty cheap and i would be able to get more of it along with more magazine and practice more often because of the price, although i still have some 5.56 left from when i had a AR. I work for the local sheriff's office and they do allow us to qualify with the ak's, i guess thats one of the reasons i like the underfolder, and the fact they look so damn cool! I'm a C.O. full-time and a reserve deputy, and i feel more practice is better even it's a little different round than what is the norm. Oh, and by the way, thanks for putting up with my droning on and on and on with my questions, i just want to do this right the first time.....

Feedback Score

oops

Crap forgot to tell you, i did have a pre-ban Norinco 7.62 gun about 10yrs ago, thats why i'm considering another ak.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I think that you will find that a fixed or folding stock AK is much nicer to shoot than an underfolder.

Feedback Score