Thread: "Safe" or "Panic" room pictures and ideas.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    I know very little about construction, but I know a lot about coming up with an idea, then when it comes time to implement it, it goes down nothing like I thought it would, usually erring on the side of overkill. If it were me, this is what I'd consider before I start coming up with a blueprint.

Plan for the most likely scenario - a common break-in...

Saferoom would be only big enough for all family members to enter and remain long enough for police to arrive. For instance, if you can fit the family in the Master bedroom closet, it doesn't need to be any bigger than the closet's dimensions. (if it's the end of the world and no police will ever come, I suggest shooting anyone who steps foot on your property...problem solved)

Most likely time of attack would be at night. Consider locating it close to the bedroom side of the house for quick access.

It should be constructed in a manner to where cell phone calls would not be blocked by the structure's thickness, construction materials, or location (underground).

Make sure the door can be easily opened from the inside, and no chance of a person or child getting trapped or stuck.

Consider ventilation with battery operated fan. In the summer in the middle of a power outage, it could take police an hour or more to arrive. A small confined space full of people breathing heavily could cause someone to have a panic attack in the panic room.

Optional: If you have the giant panic room with all the extras at the far end of the house away from the bedrooms, then as an optional back-up, put reinforced lockable doors on one or all bedroom closets in case the bad guys are situated between you and the big panic room. Also optional, a panic button activated only from inside the panic room that activates flashing red lights inside and out and an ear piercing "oogah" horn. I grew up a criminal. Every time I set off an alarm, I panicked and ran.

For me, a rec room size panic room would be extreme overkill and too expensive. However, if cost isn't an issue, it would be a great multi-purpose room to store valuables. A small reinforced closet sized room would be better for me. If a builder asks what the room is for and you don't think it's any of their business, then be creative...for instance, "my wife collects high-end vintage clothing...we lost a fortune from smoke damage in our last house. She wants to make it somewhat theft resistant too" or "my neighbor lost all their family photos and her grandparent's furniture in a fire..." You get the idea, protecting valuables, but nothing worth someone breaking in and stealing, or make it sound too big and bulky to walk off with.
    Last edited by DukeNukem; 02-04-13 at 00:43.