Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I hate 1:7 twists

Feedback Score

Angry Why I hate 1:7 twists

My 556 won't digest anything with any accuracy unless it's 70 grains or heavier. I have tons of 5.56 55 and 62 grain and the Sig is very ho hum with this stuff. I'm selling the damn thing. My flat top AR outshoots it effortlessly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wouldnt that be a reason to hate your Sig 556?
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Hirsh View Post
    My 556 won't digest anything with any accuracy unless it's 70 grains or heavier. I have tons of 5.56 55 and 62 grain and the Sig is very ho hum with this stuff. I'm selling the damn thing. My flat top AR outshoots it effortlessly.
    Dont buy low rent versions of established firearms is today's lesson...
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I can't say anything about the 556 but AR carbine with 16", 1/7 barrels shoot 45, 55, and 62 grain ammo pretty well...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Why would a Sig556 1/7 barrel be any less accurate with 55 grain?

I don't see the connection.

Feedback Score

1:7

I just prefer 1:9 twists as being more versatile. If only the SIG had a 1:9 twist. I know that heavy bullets are in vogue now but my lighter bullets just don't perform up to my standards in a 1:7 twist. I hunt a lot of varmints and need a precise machine. The SIG has been my first experience with 1:7. I shot DCM on a shortened range with reduced diameter targets so I never loaded anything over 63 grains.

Feedback Score
    1:7 twist works well for me with 55 and 62 grain rounds.

Then again, I don't have a SIG 556.
    GLOCK PREFECTION

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've shot a lot of 55 grain rounds through 1/7 barrels over the years and never noticed any accuracy loss.

I also see no reason why your Sig556 1/7 barrel would be any different. Is this factory 55 grain ammo?

Feedback Score
    Every 5.56mm-chambered rifle I own has a 1/7 twist. I've never had issues with the lighter projectiles in terms of accuracy, however; I have noticed that the .223 varmint loads don't tend to fragment reliably when shot out of an AR (v. the 1/12 in my varminter), but the accuracy is just fine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Hirsh View Post
    I just prefer 1:9 twists as being more versatile. If only the SIG had a 1:9 twist. I know that heavy bullets are in vogue now but my lighter bullets just don't perform up to my standards in a 1:7 twist. I hunt a lot of varmints and need a precise machine. The SIG has been my first experience with 1:7. I shot DCM on a shortened range with reduced diameter targets so I never loaded anything over 63 grains.
    All barrels are different and all 1/7 I have shot and that is quite a few. I think your sig barrel is what your unhappy with and not the twist rate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast