Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why I hate 1:7 twists

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Could it be the ammo that's problem? Have you tried some 55-grain match ammo to see if it really is a bullet-weight vs. rifle-twist issue?
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
    Whats this have to do with his FUBAR'D SIG 1/7 barrel?
    Is his 556 barrel FUBAR'D ?

Consider this: the barrel for the 556 is supposed to be identical to the barrel for the Swiss-made 55_ series rifles.

Only problem here: the 55_ rifles are on the 1989 ban list. Since the rifles are banned from import into the US, the barrels are also banned from import - as is the upper reciever (since 2003).

So - your 556's barrel is not Swiss "made." By law it must be made in the US if its for civilian sale.

No one is saying just how Sig is pulling this one off (to our benefit - I am glad they offer the 556 to us).

But, they are probably importing Swiss forged blanks and doing the finish work here. I would suspect Sig-USA's finish work is to blame.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Call SIG, when my SIG 226 ST Elite broke they fixed it within a week, AND payed shipping both ways.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TY44934 View Post
    Is his 556 barrel FUBAR'D ?

But, they are probably importing Swiss forged blanks and doing the finish work here. I would suspect Sig-USA's finish work is to blame.
    Isnt that what I said? i didnt say all of the Sig's barels are FUBAR but the one in his possesion.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Hirsh View Post
    I just prefer 1:9 twists as being more versatile. If only the SIG had a 1:9 twist. I know that heavy bullets are in vogue now but my lighter bullets just don't perform up to my standards in a 1:7 twist. I hunt a lot of varmints and need a precise machine. The SIG has been my first experience with 1:7. I shot DCM on a shortened range with reduced diameter targets so I never loaded anything over 63 grains.
    1/7 will work with 55 grain bullets and higher with easy while the 1/9 abomination doesn't work well with the heavier bullets I prefer. 1/7 is the way to go.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    1/7 will work with 55 grain bullets and higher with easy while the 1/9 abomination doesn't work well with the heavier bullets I prefer. 1/7 is the way to go.
    Pat
    Have you tried different twist rates in otherwise identical barrels? Do the heavier bullets make bigger groups, or start to keyhole, with the slower rate? That's the only way I'd agree that 1:9 is an abominable snowman. 77s and overlength 75s stabilize perfectly well in my 1:9 bean.
    When life gives you lemons, insert copper and zinc wires in them and repeatedly shock your tongue.

Feedback Score
    Interesting...that's the first I've heard of anyone being fed up with a 1:7. My only AR is 1:9. My stash consists of 55 and 62gr. However, I am jonesing for a 1:7 upper.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyRoller View Post
    Have you tried different twist rates in otherwise identical barrels? Do the heavier bullets make bigger groups, or start to keyhole, with the slower rate? That's the only way I'd agree that 1:9 is an abominable snowman. 77s and overlength 75s stabilize perfectly well in my 1:9 bean.
    Yes I have tried 1/9 uppers with heavier bullets. While they don't tumble the groups are much larger. 1/9 sucks in my opinion. I don't use it anymore.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123