Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt or no?

Feedback Score

Colt or no?

Hey guys. Picked up a supposed 70's M16 upper from a guy real cheap. He says its real colt. I'm trying to find out. The barrel is marked CMP, it came with triangle handguards and a slim handguard ring. Not like the newer tapered ones. The upper is A1 but didn't have a rear drop forward assist. It's round. The only mark on the upper receiver I can find is an A that looks like it was cut in half. The rear sight is weird in that it doesn't have two different sized apertures. They look the same size. Can anyone help? I can post pictures tonight when I get back to it. Oh, the front sight post has a kind o hard to make out C in the upper right corner. Thanks guys.
    Custom PCS German build MP5 clone. The best period.

"There's something kinda sad about the way that things have come to be. Desensitized to everything, what became of subtlety?"
    Tool

Feedback Score
    The two apertures the same size are normal; the difference is in their height to compensate for distance. The 'L' leg is for long distance.
    If your upper has a 'C' below the rear sight adjustment wheel (right side of carry handle) you have a Colt upper.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Colt is pretty good about putting their C on products check the bolt and see, if its marked. All of mine have it marked pretty much all over the place.

Feedback Score
    Well, at the very least, you appear to have a colt barrel. Hard to tell what the rest is without any pics.

Feedback Score
    I'll get some pics up today. Promise. There is no C that I can tell on the receiver. Only a splintered A. The only C I found was on the FSB and the barrel. Hang on and I'll try to post some pics. The bcg that came with it was crap. Definitely not Colt. But its ok. I just sold it off anyway. I bought an actual colt bcg this last weekend at the gun show. For $300!!!!! That hurt.

"There's something kinda sad about the way that things have come to be. Desensitized to everything, what became of subtlety?"
    Tool

Feedback Score
    Here's what I got.

Tool

Feedback Score
    So what say ye? If this is not a colt upper, I may just sell it and get an A2 or A3 upper.

Tool

Feedback Score
    All of the Colt A1 type uppers I have seen, have a C behind the forger's forge mark. There should also be some more markings like a triangle or something (sorry, not too well versed with the different Colt markings and stuff) where the front part of the carry handle meets the receiver. Cant tell from the photos if yours has them/it or not. Seems like a nice A1E1 upper but it also looks like a "newer" run. Looks really clean and black. Any history on this upper at all? New barrel? Refinished? how many rounds through?

Feedback Score
    I don't know. All I was told was it was a Colt upper from the 70's. he said he bought it in the 70's and its been sitting around since. He stated it had never been fired. It had packing grease in it when I got it. I guess at least the barrel is colt. I wish I knew who made the upper though. That A is the only mark on the upper that I can find.

Tool

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Last edited by charmcitycop; 09-21-13 at 16:01. Reason: ......

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast