Thread: Mossberg slide tube assembly threads?

Feedback Score

Mossberg slide tube assembly threads?

Ive got a new Mossberg 500. The action slide tube assembly and nut threads were kind of gunked up. I cleaned the threads on both pieces and wanted to know if copper anti-seize would be appropriate or even better than regular ol gun oil for the threads?

Feedback Score

Re: Mossberg slide tube assembly threads?

On my 590 I just keep the threads clean and a drop of oil.

Sent from my DROIDX
    "Live for something rather than die for nothing." - Gen. George Patton

"If you come expecting a fair fight, you are unprepared." - Magpul

"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't think it matters much what you use to lube the threads however I would just use some oil for easy clean-up and less chance of getting the copper on other gun parts that may be difficult to clean it off of. Never had an issue with just oil.

Feedback Score
    Any gunsmiths or armorers want to chime in? Any opinion on using Froglube for the slide assembly. I'm not sure how effective it would be since those parts never get warmed up during use.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by unclerandy View Post
    Any gunsmiths or armorers want to chime in? Any opinion on using Froglube for the slide assembly. I'm not sure how effective it would be since those parts never get warmed up during use.
    I am a gunsmith and anything, including froglube, will work. The object is just to use something that will prevent corrosion in the threads.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by michael word View Post
    I am a gunsmith and anything, including froglube, will work. The object is just to use something that will prevent corrosion in the threads.
    Would you recommend copper anti-seize on the threads as superior to oil? The Froglube questions was more about lubing the slide tube assembly riding on the shell tube?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Copper anti-seize does not offer any advantage and gives the risk of getting it on the furnature, where it will never come off, leaving an eye-sore. Anti-seize is designed to just prevent galling of parts during assembly, not to prevent corrosion when used with simular metals. Oil is more than adequate to prevent corrosion of the threads and is easier to clean when taken apart. No lube is needed on the action tube other than what is needed to prevent rust. If you look inside the forend tube, you will see that it only rides on very small rails on the tube. Any excessive lube on the action tube will collect dirt and dust and junk up the system, the same is true for the internals of a pump action.
    Last edited by michael word; 01-23-13 at 19:54.