Thread: Battle belt or chest rig for training/range use

Feedback Score

Battle belt or chest rig for training/range use

What setup do you prefer to hold your AR, pistol, dump pouches? Is one better over the other?
    been there eaten that

Feedback Score
    Going out to weekend comps/shoots, or practicing i want to keep it a simple/light as possible. So I use a rig with 4 primary mags on it, and 2-4secondary depending on what im doing that day. And 2 gp/admin pouches for personal items/lube for the gun and spare bullets

Going out for classes/training days, I need a little bit more to sustain me and the gun. So the rig gets bigger, but not by much. I want to keep everything in the same spot though. So secondary magazines go to 4 for sure, stay in the same spot, primary magazines stay at 4 and are in the same spot, add hydration on the bag, and some med supplies for me or my buddy.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Usually when I do training I wear the same gear as I do when overseas. IMHO is always good to train and wear the gear that you intend on using when the SHTFF. I have a chest type rig that I wear that I slip over my body armor. I have noticed that depending on the types of pouches you use it can be a PITA to get into a good prone position. My only criticism of dump pouches is that it potentially creates a bad habit of emptying mags and then sticking them in there, instead of just dropping them free for a relaod. Kind of like the old police training methods when cops would dump brass in their hands and put it in their pockets.

Feedback Score
    I think the subject of "how am I gonna carry all this shit" goes back to at least Greek and Roman times. Like "Romulus, where is thy secondary spear?"

You have two basic choices here. You can jock up and train within the context of what you'll actually (or conceptionally) be doing, or you can play dress up and do anything you want.

If your carbine is your primary weapon, then you have a choice of chest rig and/or battle belt. Makes sense to have a few on both. If your pistol is your primary weapon, then I would assume that you already have a duty or CCW belt kit on, so a chest rig makes sense.

Where it gets kinda fuzzy is what a lot of guys do for training classes. You may be carrying more mags, not to mention water, in different locations, for training purposes.
    Working for Crossfire Australia, a military rucksack and load-bearing equipment company. Still doing limited design and development of nylon LBE.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    For classes (training) I've found that one of those Adventure vests works best for me. I have all the mags and gear I'll need all day long on me; And a place to put empty mags. I've tried different stuff in the past, but having the vest made my last class the smoothest training experience yet.

Training with a bunch of high speed gear is just not being in touch with reality for my needs as a civilian.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Diz View Post
    Where it gets kinda fuzzy is what a lot of guys do for training classes. You may be carrying more mags, not to mention water, in different locations, for training purposes.
    I cater my gear, to the class at hand. All depends on the class location, time of year, what kind of class it is, etc...
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)