Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A good set-up for reloading just one caliber ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

A good set-up for reloading just one caliber ?

Looking for a good set-up to reload 223. Not top dollar but good quality

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Dillon 550. If you want top dollar Dillon 1050.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    And from the "red team" Ive loaded thousands of rounds on my Lee Turret press, which by the way, owes me nothing compared to the cost of buying factory ammo. Seems like Chevy vs. Ford, Dillon, RCBS, Hornady etc each have developed a following. For my simple, 500 rounds a month, the Lee has performed outstanding at a price point I could justify easily.

NOW IF I COULD ONLY FIND PRIMERS AND BRASS... OH YES, BULLETS TOO, AS IN .224 VARIETY

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    Dillon 550. If you want top dollar Dillon 1050.
    I concur
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Re: A good set-up for reloading just one caliber ?

Hornady Lock n Load if you're doing one caliber.

Loading rifle cases will still require prior prepping but once you get it dialed in you can really crank them out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Lee presses like the guy above is talking about are ok for one caliber. It definitely is not a chevy ford type debate. There is a definite difference in quality. You can load great ammo with lee products. They just are not high quality, and require tinkering to keep them running properly.

The hornady press works but it has problems. It is not designed as well as the Dillon presses. You will find that the AP is more prone to having problems than the Dillon.

If you are going to buy a turret just get a 550. You can use it as a turret if you want or as a progressive. For the money the 550 can not be beat.

If your going to spend the money for a lnl ap or 650 why not just step up to a 1050. Especially if you are going to only do one caliber. If the caliber is 223/556 the 1050 swages the primer pockets. For a progressive it is solid top to bottom.

Presses are like firearms it is the Indian not the arrow, but a quality press is like a quality firearm. If you are having problems it is less likely to be the press.
    Last edited by jstone; 01-25-13 at 15:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Dillon 550 will do anything you need it to do.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank everyone for the information!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    Lee presses like the guy above is talking about are ok for one caliber. It definitely is not a chevy ford type debate. There is a definite difference in quality. You can load great ammo with lee products. They just are not high quality, and require tinkering to keep them running properly.

The hornady press works but it has problems. It is not designed as well as the Dillon presses. You will find that the AP is more prone to having problems than the Dillon.

If you are going to buy a turret just get a 550. You can use it as a turret if you want or as a progressive. For the money the 550 can not be beat.

If your going to spend the money for a lnl ap or 650 why not just step up to a 1050. Especially if you are going to only do one caliber. If the caliber is 223/556 the 1050 swages the primer pockets. For a progressive it is solid top to bottom.

Presses are like firearms it is the Indian not the arrow, but a quality press is like a quality firearm. If you are having problems it is less likely to be the press.

Had to read this twice, lol
    Thankyou for the on the fly, in-depth look.

Feedback Score
    The only other thing is, how many rounds do you go through? If it's low, I wouldn't buy a progressive. (By low, I mean a few hundred per month) But if you are cranking out lots, you can't go against the dillon 550 advice.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast