Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A good set-up for reloading just one caliber ?

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    I'd recommend the 650 over the 550 for .223. That way you can add the case-feeder. Also very nice if you get the case trimmer. Makes prepping the cases very easy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    Dillon 550. If you want top dollar Dillon 1050.
    +2

But be advised that reloading components are in very short supply right now.

Feedback Score
    Dillon 550 and if you want, add the case feeder. I had a sweet 550 when they changed from the 450 and then sold it to buy the 650 which I have a problem with from time to time. I wish I had the 550 back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by davidz71 View Post
    Dillon 550 and if you want, add the case feeder. I had a sweet 550 when they changed from the 450 and then sold it to buy the 650 which I have a problem with from time to time. I wish I had the 550 back.
    I agree. The 650 can occasionally be cantankerous (easier to jam) on small bullets (.223/9mm). My 650 was covered to LRP stuff (.45 ACP / .308, etc.) years ago and left that way. I load .223 on a 1050 that was a gift. (Both of my Dillons are ~20 years old, if that matters.)

The 550 does not have the moving parts that can sometimes cause grief with the 650.

Whichever way you go, Dillon is excellent in the No BS Warranty department. I've had a few occasions to use it on the 650; never needed it yet on the 1050.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This post below expresses my own opinion on the subject. I've owned Lee and Dillon. It's more like a Mercedes vs VW comparison. Got the Lee Prog 1000 first almost 30 years ago due to the cost ($99 back then) saved and got the Dillon later. Knowing what I do now, I wish I had just bought the Dillon first. However, that said, the Lee has produced both 10mm and 9mm in the thousands and definitely got my $ worth.

Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    Lee presses like the guy above is talking about are ok for one caliber. It definitely is not a chevy ford type debate. There is a definite difference in quality. You can load great ammo with lee products. They just are not high quality, and require tinkering to keep them running properly.

The hornady press works but it has problems. It is not designed as well as the Dillon presses. You will find that the AP is more prone to having problems than the Dillon.

If you are going to buy a turret just get a 550. You can use it as a turret if you want or as a progressive. For the money the 550 can not be beat.

If your going to spend the money for a lnl ap or 650 why not just step up to a 1050. Especially if you are going to only do one caliber. If the caliber is 223/556 the 1050 swages the primer pockets. For a progressive it is solid top to bottom.

Presses are like firearms it is the Indian not the arrow, but a quality press is like a quality firearm. If you are having problems it is less likely to be the press.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    He wants to load 223 yes it can be done on the 650, but the 550 is much better for rifle. The 650 was designed with high volume pistol shooters in mind. The 650 has more flex at the shell plate than the 550. If wanting a solid top to bottom auto advance for rifle the 1050 is the way to go.

Feedback Score
    OK one caliber. But how much ammo do you plan on loading in a month? Any reloading machine is capable of loading one caliber just fine. But they all have limits on how much they can do in a limited amount of time. 223 also takes a longer because of the case prep.

A lee classic turret is going to load about 200 rounds an hour after prep.
    A Dillon 550 is going to load about 450 rounds an hour after prep.
    A Dillon 650 is going to load about 900 rounds an hour after prep.

But twice as fast cost as much. For 80 percent or more of reloaders a Dillon 550 is all the press you will ever need.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

A good set-up for reloading just one caliber ?

Available time is a factor, too. I had a lee 1000 progressive in high school that helped me feed my USPSA habit. Worked very well, but it was akin to the shovelhead HD I had for a while...lots of fixing/adjusting/tweaking for the amount of operating time. I still load .50 on a lee classic, though.

I stepped into a Dillon 550, which is a great press, but I now wish I had gone 650, especially for rifle. I can do over 500 9mm an hour if I start with filled primer tubes, but rifle is slower.

Just don't plan on using mil brass unless you buy it with the pockets swaged already or you go 1050. Nothing says "suck" like high volume pocket swaging, except maybe trimming .50 BMG brass by hand.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SPQR476 View Post
    Just don't plan on using mil brass unless you buy it with the pockets swaged already or you go 1050. Nothing says "suck" like high volume pocket swaging, except maybe trimming .50 BMG brass by hand.
    The Super Swage 600 can knock a bunch out pretty quickly. It's the trimming that kills me. I think a Giraud is in my future.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SPQR476 View Post
    Nothing says "suck" like high volume pocket swaging, except maybe trimming .50 BMG brass by hand.
    Embrace the "suck".

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast