Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: A good set-up for reloading just one caliber ?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Roger over Under, Under over Dunn.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    You could do it single stage. Some say progressive is overkill for round count, but if you just want to load so you can shoot for cheaper. Think about your time that is worth money to. I just think if it is just for shooting more for what you spend while maintaining quality. Why not progressive? The lee will be priced good.
    Im thinking single stage. I know that if I continue to do this over the years I will wish Id started with bigger press but for now Im OK with anything.
    Iv been looking at the little hand held trimmers/bebur tool. Its less than $30. What about the drill mounted trimmers?
    I still need a swedger (SP?) right? Because .223 it prone to needing it. Right?
    I can also hand prime as pictured in this thread, thats in my budget
    Press
    Die(s) what is a MUST?(DePrime/crimp/ReSize....)
    Scale
    Headspace guage (brass length)
    Micrometer (overall loaded length)
    Tumbler

What am I missing? Necessities?

Im not speaking of anything bullet related, only tooling

Thankyou for all the help thus far.
    J

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    Im thinking single stage. I know that if I continue to do this over the years I will wish Id started with bigger press but for now Im OK with anything.
    Iv been looking at the little hand held trimmers/bebur tool. Its less than $30. What about the drill mounted trimmers?
    I still need a swedger (SP?) right? Because .223 it prone to needing it. Right?
    I can also hand prime as pictured in this thread, thats in my budget
    Press
    Die(s) what is a MUST?(DePrime/crimp/ReSize....)
    Scale
    Headspace guage (brass length)
    Micrometer (overall loaded length)
    Tumbler

What am I missing? Necessities?

Im not speaking of anything bullet related, only tooling

Thankyou for all the help thus far.
    J
    You NEED.

1)Press and appropriate shell holder/plate.

2)Dies deprime/resize and bullet seater. Really you ought to have a crimper as well...though you probably won't be putting much crimp on. Some sets come with only the first two, and others come with all three.

3)Scale Digital makes life easier and faster, but a high quality balance scale will last forever. I'd recommend digital with a set of check weights to keep tabs on it. Not the little cellphone sized Frankford Arsenal ones though.

4)Powder funnel(since you've chosen to ignore the advice in this thread and are going to have to hand charge each case.)

5)Micrometer

6)Priming tool and appropriate case holder(I like the RCBS one). The 550b eliminates the need for this too, but I generally use mine since I often have to trim after resizing anyway. Also with this one you can cheat and not get a primer tray.

7)A deburring tool.

8)Tumbler and media

9)A case trimmer. I'd steer away from one that cost $30...but I suppose you can torture yourself with one and accept shoddy cuts until you can afford a nice one.

10)A case gauge is helpful when setting up your resizing die. Since you're not getting the 550b, you'll be doing this a lot.

11)Reloading manuals. I don't care if the data is available online, if you don't have a manual or two or five you're wrong.

12)Case lube(the Dillon lube is the only way to roll, and you can make your own to a very similar recipe easily)

13)Reloading block, especially important with a single stage. I suppose you can make your own out of a block of wood and a drill.

14)A way to deal with crimped primer pockets. Either a swaging tool, or a reamer. If you only use commercial brass this can be skipped, but if you plan to load military brass(and you probably will) it is absolutely essential.

15)While not essential, a bullet puller is going to be helpful, especially starting out. You will make mistakes, and it's nice to not have to throw the components in the trash. Although if you can deal with that then you can skip it.

MY list would go on, although aspects would be greatly simplified thanks to the Dillon.... It's not an inexpensive endeavor if you plan to be successful, but the good news is that reloading is truly one of those areas where you WILL continue to upgrade your tools until you have the nice ones anyway at a much greater cost than if you'd have bought them right off the bat. I know this from first hand experience. Fortunately once you get there, you have tools that will last your lifetime.

Edited because I accidentally wrote headspace gauge where I meant case gauge.
    Last edited by thopkins22; 01-29-13 at 16:32.

Feedback Score
    Yep - You cannot just buy a single stage and start loading. Look at what you get vs everything you need. [But a single stage press (especially a turret press) can still be handy to have available .]

A full source reloading manual (or several) is essential and IMO a case gauge is also an essential item. It's just dumb not to have one for every caliber.

Even a cheap universal powder funnel is needed after checking/weighing powder charges, regardless of the loading method involved.
    Last edited by shootist~; 01-29-13 at 13:04.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thankyou...

Feedback Score

Lee Classic Cast Turret

I was all set to pull the trigger on a Dillon, but then decided to invest in components for .223 loading. After reading a ton of reviews, I ended up getting the Lee Classic Cast Turret, which auto indexes. I was pleasantly surprised by how well it works. Production rates are pretty decent and there is a learning curve of almost zero if you have some basic reloading skills. I set it up with the auto disk powder measure and the lee priming attachment. I am one that will usually go straight to the more expensive equipment as I don't like buying crap and really hate to screw around with equipment that is finnicky. This is one case where I am glad I made decision to go with Lee. If you are not looking for super high production rates it will probably suit you fine.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678