Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NRA instructor arrested for shooting at coyote on his 30 acres

Feedback Score
    Legally binding? I am no expert but what happens when you don't do it? CT state troopers show up? Other states and countries have told Texas it wasn't legal to execute somebody, Texas shrugged and did it anyway.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    People shoot around here at all hours of the night. I guess we are used it to by now.

So now breach of peace is just if someone is scared? Next time someone talks loud in Wally World we can have them arrested for scaring us.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    The bigger issue is not the fact that his neighbors called the police. I guess that is understandable if you are not used to hearing shots. It's the le reaction(overreaction) that is the problem. FFS, give the guy a ticket or warning but cuffing him and his wife and taking every gun in the house for an obvious issue like shooting a coyote is fing retarded. But like others have said, it's to be expected in a state like that one.
    I just looked on Zillow and it is quite probable that the neighbors were the guy's tenants, as he has a small apartment building less that 100 feet from the main house. This area falls with the city limits of Waterford, CT. I used to live in New England and I don't recall anywhere that it was permissible to discharge a firearm within city limits. Having been on a few welfare calls the "****ing retarded" label usually falls on the resident, 99.9% of the time. The officers were well within their rights, and civic obligation to perform a welfare check of the other residents. Seeing additional loaded firearms in plain view could be problematic, and was in this instance as they were taken. Nine times out of ten it is the resident that drives the responding officers actions. Recent nearby events in CT I am sure have a lot of people, especially LE on edge. Numbnuts should have thought of this before he decided to engage said coyote. Again, play stupid games........

Feedback Score
    Guy shoots a coyote on his 30 acres and you are cool with searching his house, confiscating all of his weapons, and cuffing his wife? Right the guy a ticket and call it a night.

Also, professionalism means even if the "homeowner" isn't the smartest or is being a douch doesn't mean you cuff, arrest, search, and seize.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hehuhates View Post
    So how did this end? This is exactly how a "legally binding" order to confiscate will end. With cops "just doing their job"
    A DV order is legally binding. Yes he brought his own guns in and he got them back later when the matter was cleared up. You're comparing apples to oranges (gun rights vs DV victims rights) and trying to smear cops in the process.
    pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Guy shoots a coyote on his 30 acres and you are cool with searching his house, confiscating all of his weapons, and cuffing his wife? Right the guy a ticket and call it a night.

Also, professionalism means even if the "homeowner" isn't the smartest or is being a douch doesn't mean you cuff, arrest, search, and seize.
    That is up to the cops on scene to decide not some douche in another state armchair quarterbacking it.
    Pat
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 01-26-13 at 18:19.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The resident "drives" the LE response in most cases, meaning the decision to cite, versus arrest is driven because of the words and actions of the soon to be "defendant". I suggest that you quit hanging up on the 30 acres thing, it is completely irrelevant. He was within city limits, subject to all of the codes and regulations that entails. He was running apartments at that address so the multiple discharges occurred in a place where others could lay claim to domain and use, not mention additional neighbors less than 100 feet away. Seizure of items in plane view can be driven by a lot of factors, safe storage laws, caretaker issues, presence of children, indications of domestic violence, etc. A firearms instructor should have known better and acted accordingly. Being stupid can be a really expensive condition.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    A DV order is legally binding. Yes he brought his own guns in and he got them back later when the matter was cleared up. You're comparing apples to oranges (gun rights vs DV victims rights) and trying to smear cops in the process.
    pat
    No I'm not. I'm making a simple statement Based on experience with people in general. If you disagree that's fine. That being said you know good and well there are cops everywhere who would comply with confiscation orders because they are spineless chicken shits. The same ones will use it's the law and I'm doing my job as excuses. Not smearing cops, just stating facts. Yup facts. As for apples and oranges, You gotta be shitting me, in this case you (local PD) had prior knowledge of the situation at hand. When you told the CT. police there was no need to take his guns they responded "too bad take his shit because we don't like guns." and you did it. Apples and yup more apples.
    L.L. this, L.L. that, soon as I walk in the place.....

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    pat
    No I'm not. I'm making a simple statement Based on experience with people in general. If you disagree that's fine. That being said you know good and well there are cops everywhere who would comply with confiscation orders because they are spineless chicken shits. The same ones will use it's the law and I'm doing my job as excuses. Not smearing cops, just stating facts. Yup facts. As for apples and oranges, You gotta be shitting me, in this case you (local PD) had prior knowledge of the situation at hand. When you told the CT. police there was no need to take his guns they responded "too bad take his shit because we don't like guns." and you did it. Apples and yup more apples.
    Police do not have the option or authority to modify a DV order no matter were it is issued in the U.S., we can verify it in the system or call the issuing agency but must follow the order accept as received.

As to gun confiscations there are many L/E's who are not "Gun people" and could care less about pro or anti gun views. They just follow orders received from a higher authority and do the job they are paid for. Now myself if a order came down that stated all firearms were to be seized I would first see how the orders were generated and what process was followed. If I decided that the seizer order was illegal I would not follow same and post a official protest and then take personal time and leave work.

But now say that the process appeared legal such as it was passed Thur both houses, the POTUS sign it into law and the S/C confirmed that the law was legal and did not violate the Constitution then my only course of action would be to follow said order or to hang up my Badge and retrier.

I do feel many L/E would follow a confiscation order if it made it through all the S/C challenges but I would rather live by my convictions and retrier to that little house in the mountains before doing same.

As to L/E following legal orders you may not agree with does not make them spineless chicken shits, it just means they are following the lawful orders received even tho they could agree with your same views or not.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 01-26-13 at 19:59.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The same people you are calling spineless are the ones risking their lives as part of their job. Sorry but your out of line.
    Pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast