Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Grendel build advice

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Scope has to be less than $1k. But in that range I want the "best", of course!

I shot the match once with a 3-10x, and had it on 10 the whole match from 200 to 1, 000.

I have a Super Sniper fixed 10x I originally bought for this profect, but I can always use it on another rifle.
    Last edited by wild_wild_wes; 01-29-13 at 22:02.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    bushnell has a 2.5-16x42 and a couple of 3-12x44s that fall in your budget.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    What about the Vortex PST line? The 2.5-10 or the 4-16.

I'm considering their 1-4 for the 16".
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    What kind of target are you shooting at 1,000?

I wouldn't want much less than 24x for paper decimal targets.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Targets are man-sized silhouettes. I'm not much concerned about points or "winning" the match; putting rounds into the black is my goal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    Scope has to be less than $1k. But in that range I want the "best", of course!

I shot the match once with a 3-10x, and had it on 10 the whole match from 200 to 1, 000.

I have a Super Sniper fixed 10x I originally bought for this profect, but I can always use it on another rifle.
    wild if it is under $1k and from 300 - 1000 yards, the

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...lr-moa-reticle

is hard to beat it gives you 6x for the 300 yard shots and the good old 10x for general work along with 24x for ranging in the longer shots using the top MOA hash marks, it is under $850 and the lower tree helps a lot for wind at long ranges.

with the Grendel and a 140grain or 123 grain AMAX / match burner if you sight in at 200yards there is 32 MOA on the tree with the top of the bottom bar at 34 so all you have to do at a 1000 yards is hold putting the top of your man sized silhouettes on the 32 hash and the bottom of your target on the top of the bottom bar and squeeze. in other wards you do not have to fiddle with turrets to go from 100 to 1000 yards. it can all be done on the tree.

or its little brother for closer work or your 16 inch build.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...lr-moa-reticle

same glass as the PST you asked about only minus the illuminated reticule. and same life time warranty.

oh and it is a FFP scope so your MOA marks grow as you zoom in and out so the MOA hashes are good no matter what power level you are they can still be used for ranging and doping.
    Last edited by Puravida; 02-04-13 at 17:46.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks for the advice! Why do you advocate MOA over Mils? I'm new to long-range shooting.

Feedback Score
    Wes,
    I don’t it really comes down to what you are hunting/killing/or shooting.

If you told me you were killing a man walking across a field from 300 to 500 yards I would be telling you to use Milrads (mildots) why simple of you take the average man 5’8” and add combat boots and a helmet and you get almost 6 feet.

If you use mils you place the reticule on the man count the mils he spans from bottom of boot to top of helmet and then take:

size of the target in yards X 1000 / number of mils = range in yards

so if the man is 4 mils tall you would take 2 x 1000 / 4 so 500 yards away.

This works well if your targets are in increments of a yard the problem comes when you start trying to use inches for smaller targets like the silhouette targets or in our case random distances with six inch tall water bottles. That becomes:

size of target in inches X 27.778 / numbers of mils = range in yards

Not that easy to do off the top of your head. Now if you are using MOA it goes like this:

size of target in inches X 100 / numbers of MOA = range in yards

a lot easier to do off the top of your head.

A lot of the tactical shoots I have been to in the states will give you half covered man silhouettes or just the head and shoulders etc. so you cannot rely on the standard 72 inch target with a 36 inch half anymore on tactical shooting course so you have to drop back to the 9 inch head that is very very hard to range when you are using mils at 500 to 1000 yards.

The MOA is closer to an inch (1.047) as opposed to the mil (3.6 inches) so at 1000 yards one mil will cover 36 inches so a nine inch head will be .25 mil it is very hard to make out a quarter mil, using MOA on the other hand means one MOA will be 10.47 inches it is a lot easier to judge nine inches using MOA on my vortex it will be from the bottom of one hash to the top of the next hash.

The XLR reticule makes it even easier if you look at the top of the cross hairs you will see it is cut into quarter MOA making it even easier.

If you want to have fun check this link out and run the demo using both Mil rad and MOA set to 20 power. First using the whole 72 inch target to range then using only the half 36 and lastly using only the head. Then let me know what you think.

http://www.shooterready.com/moademo.html

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Puravida View Post
    If you want to have fun check this link out and run the demo using both Mil rad and MOA set to 20 power. First using the whole 72 inch target to range then using only the half 36 and lastly using only the head. Then let me know what you think.

http://www.shooterready.com/moademo.html
    Good lord that is hard! I'm taking 4 shots to get on target (by intuition mostly), so I'll have to try it again when I can find my thinking cap. One thing for sure, to me an FFP seems mandatory for that type of shooting.

Shameful admission: when I shot that 1000 yard match, I was using a Shepherd scope with BDC reticle.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123