Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First AR, First Build

Feedback Score

First AR, First Build

Well after wanting to pick up an AR for some time now I figured it's time to get one while I can. Did quite a bit of research, and decided to put one together myself. Started off by picking up a PSA STR lower build kit on Black Friday. Really liking the Magpul STR stock. Went to the gun show and found a Spike's Punisher stripped lower, which was exactly what I wanted. The guy standing next to me bought the last one after I got mine. For the upper I had planned on a Vltor MUR 1, BCM barrel and BCG, and most likely a Seekins Precision or DD rail. Wandered around and came across a Spikes 16", mid-length, LE upper and BCG for a heck of a lot less than I was going to cost for what I had originally planned so I jumped on that and added a MOE mid-length hand guard.

Assembly went well with no problems or lost parts and first time at the range preformed flawlessly. I used mostly steel cased and some brass 55g Monarch. I was very pleased with the accuracy that I got with just iron sights and my first time shooting the gun. One small adjustment and it was on target.

All in all I have
    Spikes lower - $120
    PSA STR build kit - $150
    Spikes 16" LE upper and BCG - $525
    MOE hand guard - $30
    A little over $825 for the base gun
    More than happy with it.

I have a Troy Bravo rail coming in tomorrow. Got to get the FSB cut down so I can get it on. Will post up some new pics after the install.

Old Age an Treachery will overcome Youth and Skill

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    My opinion is its a decent platform.

Now sights. I would get a good RDS like an Aimpoint Pro or used comp series. If a RDS is not within your grasp, put a rear Daniel Defense fixed sight on the rear keep the FSB and MOE handguards.

If the rail is already happening, then put a DD front sight on as well. Shoot it, and spend your money on mags and ammo. Save for an aimpoint.

You also may want to look into the VCAS sling.
    Last edited by RMiller; 01-28-13 at 07:00.

Feedback Score
    nice build cant wait till mine is finished

Feedback Score
    Aimpoint PRO is at the top of the list. Really like the T1 but thats quite a price difference. Use to see a few used ones for sale but not so much anymore. Most likely will go with a good 2 point instead of the MS2.
    Love the new Troy rail. Will try and get some pics on when I get back home.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Nice rifle. I have a Stag lower with the Magpul ACS stock and moe plus grip in the same color scheem as yours. The upper is a Areo Precision with a Black Hole Weaponry 16" M4 barrel.

I too want to get into a railed Free Float tube but I can't fid one in FDE that I like.
    Honesty, Honor, and Integrity Are Everything!

Feedback Score
    My new 13" Troy Bravo rail

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Throw some DD fixed sights on that baby!

Feedback Score
    Throw some sort of sights on there. I don't think I would have changed out the moe and FS for a rail until I had a front sight. You have a "hip shooter" until you get a forward sight on that bad boy.

Feedback Score
    I really like the DD fixed sights but since I'll get an optic as soon as I bank a little more overtime I'll just go ahead and get a folding sight. Only reason I don't have one on there now is because LGS won't get their Magpul order in until late this week.

Feedback Score
    What kind of budget are you looking at for sights/optic?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast