Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New proposed anti-gun legislation in MN

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    i e-mailed dan fabian today and this is the response i got.

Shane:

I will vigorously oppose all of these DFL attempts to limit our Second Amendment rights. I took an oath to support and protect the Constitution.

Thanks and feel free to call me anytime.

Dan

i take anything i hear from a politician with a grain of salt but i hope he sticks to his word.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Joe Radinovich is my district representative. He's a Democrat. I've known him since he was a kid. Here's his email to me:

xxxxxxx,

I don't expect that you'll find any problem with position on firearms.

I am opposed to the "big three" right now--the weapons ban, magazine regulations, and expanding background checks.

There is one proposal supported by the NRA intended to cut down on "straw purchasing" that I may support if it comes to the House floor. I don't serve on any of the committee that will initially hear legislation.

I can send a formal response to your residence as well, if you prefer.

Take care,

Joe

Sent from my iPhone

Carrie Ruud is my Senator...she wrote:

I want to assure you I remain committed to our second amendment rights. As a sworn protector of our constitution, I am concerned about the increasing encroachment on our second amendment rights. I believe the second amendment is one of the most important rights in our country and guarantees our personal freedom. If any anti-2nd Amendment legislation advances you can count on me to voice my opposition.

Sen. Carrie Ruud
    Last edited by Hmac; 02-11-13 at 16:38.

The Progressive Peoples Welfare Republic of Minnesota
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My Rep did not take the time to even send a form letter in response. I had taken the time to compile, calculate, and graph some key points that I thought were important to the discussion (data from FBI Uniform Crime Report) with a letter. I sent it to everyone on the Public Safety Committee that is going to be drafting the final bill. So far, I'm very disappointed that not one DFLer has acknowledged receipt, while a few of the GOP reps have.

I recruited friends and coworkers to write as well, and they have only received GOP responses.

I'd like to think I don't have to sign allegiance to a political party and that this issue supercedes party needs. Unfortunately I always end up feeling a great arrogance from the DFL towards any opposing views. This despite the obvious fact (to anyone watching the hearings) that they are entirely ignorant regarding "assault weapons", "weapons of war", "weapons of mass killing", and guns in general. When I'm alone in the voting booth, that arrogance usually steers my pen away from their circle.

I'm glad to see you guys are getting a few supportive DFL responses. Unfortunately the DFL committee members are not with us. Keep up that letter writing.

I met a couple of the guys from GOCRA at Gander on Saturday and their advice was to simply email every committee member every day. They said to skip the long letters and simply state "I am against these bills HF XXX, XXX, XXX, etc." The other suggestion was to fax your opinion to each rep and run their fax machines out of paper.

You can stay updated here:
    http://www.mnccrn.org/news/

and watch the hearings here:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MNHouseInfo?feature=watch

Notice that most of the reps introducing bills seem to be older women with embroidered sweaters who clearly own lots of cats. They also boogie out right after the introduction without hearing testimony, leaving a paid lobbyist to explain the bill to the committee. That's a generalization, but there have been quite a few cat ladies.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maindish View Post
    I had taken the time to compile, calculate, and graph some key points that I thought were important to the discussion (data from FBI Uniform Crime Report) with a letter. I sent it to everyone on the Public Safety Committee that is going to be drafting the final bill. So far, I'm very disappointed that not one DFLer has acknowledged receipt, while a few of the GOP reps have.

I recruited friends and coworkers to write as well, and they have only received GOP responses.
    In an issue like this, it's volume that counts, not content. I see people writing long, passionate emails and letters to their representatives, well reasoned, persuasive arguments with graphs and charts. It might make us feel better to express our thoughts in written form, but I guarantee that nobody is reading them. But they are tallying up "For" and "Against".

None of us are going to persuade these people based on any rational argument we try to make on the issues. What will persuade them is the number of people whom they see will likely vote against them in their next election. They don't care what you think. They care how you will vote.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post

None of us are going to persuade these people based on any rational argument we try to make on the issues. What will persuade them is the number of people whom they see will likely vote against them in their next election. They don't care what you think. They care how you will vote.
    Sad but true.

Feedback Score
    So many guns so few politicians!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Meanwhile in Minnesota...

http://www.startribune.com/politics/...191731791.html

I'd love to see the inside of the discussions that led to this decision.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Meanwhile in Minnesota...

http://www.startribune.com/politics/...191731791.html

I'd love to see the inside of the discussions that led to this decision.
    They better get out there and start bitching about the number of innocents killed in MVAs because I guarantee there are more traffic related fatalities than those committed with firearms in that state annually. Wheres the outrage over their lives??

Cowards...

And whats with cop out saying weapon and ammunition bans are better suited for the federal level?? again, coward.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My guess is that they perceived that they don't have the votes to get out of this cleanly. It's a political hot potato for sure and, apparently unlike Colorado, support for gun control among rural legislators just isn't there. Many of the new Democrats in the legislature got in marginally on support for the marriage act and the voter ID measure. I suspect it wouldnt take much to go the other way in the next election and gun control is just the issue that could do it. Not much would make the Iron Range cross party lines but I bet this would.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My guess is that they perceived that they don't have the votes to get out of this cleanly. It's a political hot potato for sure and, apparently unlike Colorado, support for gun control among rural legislators just isn't there. Many of the new Democrats in the legislature got in marginally on support for the marriage act and the voter ID measure. I suspect it wouldnt take much to go the other way in the next election and gun control is just the issue that could do it. Not much would make the Iron Range cross party lines but I bet this would.
    I'd love to see the Rangers cross into the realm of sanity. I'm sure there are many exceptions, but there is a feeling up there that they think anyone from outside the range is on a mission to screw them over. That's an attitude the DFL successfully incubates.

He Star Tribune article made it sound like gun ban advocates hugely showed up the gun rights folks in the more recent sessions. Not surprised they'd say that, was it true?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast