Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: #1 Buck vs. 00 Buck

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I recent switched to the Federal (LE132-1B) after reading Doc's suggestions. Found it for a great price @ GT Distributors. ( Only catch is you have to be LEO, military, etc to order. I think they only take orderes over phone last I heard.).
    I don;t know if they still have it but I bought a thousand rounds back over the summer for $2.99 per box w/ free shipping. It recoils about the same or maybe a little less than the Reduced Recoil 00 Buck from Federal but it patterns great out of my 870. Not as concerned with over penetration with this compared to the much larger 00 Buck
    Thanks for recommending such a great load Doc.
    OIF 2003-2004
    Deputy Sheriff/Private Investigator

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrinD2 View Post
    Any opinions on Federal #1 Magnum? I'm stuck with a couple ammo cans of it, and the recoil doesn't bother me so far.
    The advantage to lower recoil loads for defense is quicker follow up shots. With adrenalin and possibility being shot at your hit percentage will probably go down from what you can do on the range, I see faster follow up shots and possibly one more shell in the tube as more of an advantage than magnum pellet count or increased velocity.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    The advantage to lower recoil loads for defense is quicker follow up shots. With adrenalin and possibility being shot at your hit percentage will probably go down from what you can do on the range, I see faster follow up shots and possibly one more shell in the tube as more of an advantage than magnum pellet count or increased velocity.
    Of course Todd; Thanks for the reminder. I switched from .40 to 9mm in pistol because I am more accurate and get faster follow up shots. Don't know why I didn't make the same conclusion for my SG. Don't know what I'll do with all that #1 Magnum I have sitting around. . . because I'll be reloading with Federal LE132-1B. Anyone know an online source for civilians? Thanks.
    Last edited by DarrinD2; 02-04-13 at 13:54.
    NRA Member

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrinD2 View Post
    Federal LE132-1B. Anyone know an online source for civilians? Thanks.
    Let me know if you find any. I've been looking and even checked with my LGS who has a lot of other "LE Restricted" items. No dice.
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    I prefer the #1 too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

#1 Buck vs. 00 Buck

WIth regard to LE132-1B It may take a bit of waiting till you find a place that has an overrun from an LE order. I was able to get an order from ammoman in the past.

-john

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So for the average civilian without access to the #1, is the standard 00 the next best bet?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

#1 Buck vs. 00 Buck

There are other #1 loads, they just don't have the flight control wad. I suspect LE132-00 is easier to find so it becomes a trade off.

-john

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHolyCannoli View Post
    So for the average civilian without access to the #1, is the standard 00 the next best bet?
    To echo bzdog,

I would rather have 00 with flight control than #1 without. I have always been able to find LE 00 online and local stores but #1 is more scarce.

Federal is now making their "LE only" HST pistol ammo for sale commercially this year, maybe they will follow suit with their shotgun rounds as well.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    I created a thread last night, but I was on a mobile device and didn't see this thread. So, I'll ask in here:

Since Federal #1 is nearly impossible to find, how is Winchester Super X #1 buck (xb121) as an alternative?

What kind of difference in patterning (I know it varies some by shotgun) difference are we going to see between Federal #1 or 00 with flight control vs. Winchester xb121?

I guess in terms of the current ammo shortage, the question really is if there is no Federal LE132-00 or LE132-1B, is it better to go with another 00 (Remington, Speer, Hornady, Winchester) or an alternative #1 like Winchester xb121?

More specifically, how about Hornady TAP 00 low recoil with Versatite wad vs. Winchester #1 buck xb121?
    Last edited by tnedator; 02-05-13 at 07:41.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast