Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: #1 Buck vs. 00 Buck

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrinD2 View Post
    MY HD guns is a Mossberg 590A1, and I love it. However, I read that #1 Buck has a ballistic advantage over 00 because of the increased cross section of the additional pellets in the #1 shells. I'm no expert on ballistics for SG's so I'd wonder if anyone has some data or gellatin tests between the two. Thanks, djd
    Here are some gelatin tests for 00 Buck-

http://le.atk.com/downloads/catalogs..._Data_Book.pdf

Penetration shouldn't be too much less from #1 than from 00 Buck

Accordingly, the MacPherson, Schwartz, and Peters bullet penetration models give the following results:

-00 Buck @ 1100 fps should penetrate to 19.98" (MacPherson), 19.36" (Schwartz), 19.57" (Peters) in gelatin for an average penetration estimate of ~19.64"

-#1 Buck @ 1100 fps should penetrate to 17.88" (MacPherson), 17.96" (Schwartz), 18.15" (Peters) in gelatin for an average penetration estimate of ~17.99"

Given the engineering data , I'd say that both options are likely to be very similar in their performance.
    Last edited by 481; 02-14-13 at 14:47.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Let me know if you find any. I've been looking and even checked with my LGS who has a lot of other "LE Restricted" items. No dice.
    I'm a civi and bought it from GT Distributors. Catch is I ordered in clear back in early November and they don't think that it will be in till April.
    "The only defense against violent evil people are good people who are more skilled at violence" - Rory Miller

Feedback Score
    Thanks 481!
    NRA Member

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrinD2 View Post
    Thanks to DocGKR and everyone else for the info so far. Any opinions on Federal #1 Magnum? I'm stuck with a couple ammo cans of it, and the recoil doesn't bother me so far. I guess it's time to swap out my Federal low recoil 00 buck in/on my SG with the "Flight Control" #1?
    Back in 1990-1991, during the Kuwait invasion, Lt. Gen. Thomas Kelley did nightly press briefings at the Pentagon. In one I recall vividly, he was showing videos of various massive destruction being thrown at the Iraqi forces. He then went on to describe B-52 strikes on mobile SCUD missiles.

A reporter raised his hand and asked something to the effect, "Now, General, isn't that like using a sledgehammer to kill a fly?"

Without hesitation, General Kelly shot back, "In my own personal opinion, that is a delightful way to kill a fly." He immediately pointed at another reporter and said, "Next question."

3" number 1 buck contains twenty-four 0.30" projectiles, and the last thing one will ever remember in a gunfight is recoil. I agree with General Kelley: a sledgehammer is an excellent choice for killing a "fly."
    Last edited by BuckskinJoe; 02-06-13 at 12:44.
    That's the life of an outlaw...tough, ain't it.--Sam Elliot as Conagher

Feedback Score
    Is the Federal #1 buck actually .30"? I ask this because I once dissected a Federal #000 8 pellet load, which would nominally be .36", and it was slightly smaller, more like .343".

Not that it really matters, as long as it actually penetrates like the tests show. I am sure it is still effective, but I vaguely remember some one stating it was <.30".

It is a shame that buckshot is not designated by its diameter, that would make life a lot simpler.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grendelbane View Post
    Is the Federal #1 buck actually .30"? I ask this because I once dissected a Federal #000 8 pellet load, which would nominally be .36", and it was slightly smaller, more like .343".

Not that it really matters, as long as it actually penetrates like the tests show. I am sure it is still effective, but I vaguely remember some one stating it was <.30".

It is a shame that buckshot is not designated by its diameter, that would make life a lot simpler.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Docs tests are way more sceintifically valid but I tested the Federal FC #1 load in the clear ballistics gel block. Video below:

Federal Gel Test HD Video Link

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I still cannot find any of the #1. I sent an email to GT distributors after I sat on hold for 35 min. on the phone and then got hung up on. I did, however, find a box of the Flite Control 00 @ my LGS last night and picked it up. It replaced the Remington Low Recoil 00 in my M1. I feel slightly better now, but still would like to find the #1 load.

How does the 00 load perform?
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckskinJoe View Post
    3" number 1 buck contains twenty-four 0.30" projectiles, and the last thing one will ever remember in a gunfight is recoil. I agree with General Kelley: a sledgehammer is an excellent choice for killing a "fly."
    Funny story, but a fly doesn't shoot back. If you missed the fly with your first swing a fly swatter would provide a quicker follow up. It would also provide plenty of terminal performance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Funny story, but a fly doesn't shoot back. If you missed the fly with your first swing a fly swatter would provide a quicker follow up. It would also provide plenty of terminal performance.
    My follow-up shots with 3" number 1 buck are incredibly fast: my wife has her 11-87 loaded with the same rounds!

Mister T said it well: "I pity the fool."
    Last edited by BuckskinJoe; 02-11-13 at 15:51.
    That's the life of an outlaw...tough, ain't it.--Sam Elliot as Conagher

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast