Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Near Term Design Updates Ahead for the Colt 6920?

Feedback Score

Near Term Design Updates Ahead for the Colt 6920?

I had an interesting conversation today with a high volume Colt dealer. They were out of 6920's but were expecting a large shipment in the next 30 days or so. The dealer made the comment that Colt was making an update to the latest production rifles and it "would be worth the wait". Unfortunately he refused to elaborate at all. To protect the innocent, the dealer shall remain nameless.

Has anyone heard about a 6920 update? My best guess is that maybe he was talking about the 6920HB's but who knows. If he was misleading just to retain business, the jig would be up shortly and he would still end up losing my business so I don't think that was his motivation. I'm intrigued.
    Last edited by Powder_Burn; 03-08-08 at 10:38. Reason: added comment

Feedback Score
    I guess if Colt went back to standard-sized pivot & take-down pin holes that could be considered an update evnthough it would just be going to what everyone else has been using.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    I guess if Colt went back to standard-sized pivot & take-down pin holes that could be considered an update evnthough it would just be going to what everyone else has been using.
    Colt did this awhile back... The 6920s now only use oversized pins in the FCG.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    Colt did this awhile back... The 6920s now only use oversized pins in the FCG.
    Good! I guess now they need to upgrade to the standard-sized pins in the FCG. Then I would consider them back to normal.

BTW - I have 2 pre-ban Colts with the oversized FCG pins & was disappointed they went the PC route when they did that. Since then I haven't bought a Colt & went with other manufacturers that use standard sized components.

Feedback Score
    I actually heard something along these lines as well when I was doing my search for a Colt. This particular dealer was also out of stock but said shipment was expected end of this month or early next. Regardless, he made the comment this shipment would be of the new design but did not elaborate further. Also said that Colt was raising the price 6% with the new ones. Anyone else know anything more?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I tend to doubt that a HB would be among any potential changes, though I've learned never to say never where Colt's is concerned. Of course, the limited-production SAW run did bring this variation to market a few years ago in small numbers (and I own one of these rifles), but the argument in favor of a HB generally falls short when we're talking about a limited rate-of-fire (i.e. non-select-fire) weapon. For a patrol carbine, that is intended to be carried, I would think the idea would be to make an even lighter weight variant -- not to push a stripped 6920 into the 7 lb. range.

Stranger things have happened, but if there are truly changes afoot, I'm guessing they more likely have to do with pin configurations or a furniture upgrade of some sort. Given the number of LE dealers in and around the boards, it seems that we would have a somewhat better idea of what was coming by now, if indeed it was going to be any different than the existing baseline.

Chief

Feedback Score
    (and I own one of these rifles)

I have one NIB I would bet some kind of furniture change also. I think you are right. We will see if there is anything to this.

Feedback Score
    I could care less about the trigger pin size, it hasn't bothered me with my other Colts any trigger worth using is available for them. Remove the LEO stamping on the side and I'll be a happy camper. That's about the only thing that could be improved on.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are you sure he was not confusing the 6920 with 6940 on display at SHOT?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Are you sure he was not confusing the 6920 with 6940 on display at SHOT?
    Upon reading the first posting that is the first thought that entered my mind. I can find little in the 6920 that when improved would make it "worth the wait." I could see the monolothic rail and/or piston as most likely the only changes to the platform which would warrant that statement. Seeing as how the 1022/1033 are a distant item if produced, I would have to think he meant the 6940.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast