Thread: Barrel contour

Feedback Score

Question Barrel contour

How much effect does the barrel contour have on accuracy?

Specifically, I am looking at putting together a rifle accurate enough I can grow into it and increase my marksmanship. I'm going with 6.5 Grendel in this case. On paper it says I should be able to deliver lethal energy out to around 800M (light skinned medium sized game) and do a pretty good job of punching paper out to 1000 (my goal) - if I can do my part anyway.

I'm on Satern's waiting list for a 20" medium contour fluted barrel. I've got 8 months to decide if I'm getting the right thing I went with the medium contour to save some weight so I can hump it around better, but accuracy is a higher priority since I will probably spend more time at the range than a mountain valley somewhere. So the question is: should I opt for the heavy barrel and bear the weight when I'm hiking around or will the medium contour do right by me if I do right by it? I need the straight dope.

Feedback Score
    Contour has more to do with weight than accuracy.

Heavier contours will be more stable due to increased weight to absorb recoil, which I guess could make you more accurate. Also, heavier contours will take longer to heat up. Light contours will start losing accuracy as the barrel heats.

It really comes down to your use. A light barrel will be just fine for hunting, since its easier to carry and you only have to worry about taking one or two shots before the barrel cools down again. Heavier barrels aren't so nice for carrying around, but offer better consistency during long strings of fire.

The medium contour you ordered should be fine, and you likely won't notice a difference until you get very skilled with it anyway (and by that point, it will probably be time for a new barrel anyway).
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Well, that's good to know then. I'll roll with this and see how it goes.

Feedback Score
    Even if it was a pencil barrel.. it's made by Satern

They don't make bad barrels .. ever!

I've installed over a dozen of their barrels in .308/7.62x51 uppers and 6.5Grendel uppers.

Never had a complaint about accuracy.