Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: PRI Fat Boy gas tube?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    No, I run a H2 in my carbines. My point was instead of fixing an overgassed rifle, slapping in a heavier buffer is polishing a turd. No matter what you do its still a turd.
    Test the rifle with your preferred H2 buffer, and if it is between 700 and 950 rpm, then it is within Colt M4 specs, and not over-gassed - and does not need fixing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    DPMS must have adopted .300 USELESS... and now Silvers is their staunch defender!
    I am only objecting to the common interweb style of science of determining that something is wrong without testing it. Colt rejects M4s which cycle above 950 rpm. That is a good standard to use in determining if a rifle is over-gassed. The gas port size on its own cannot be used because the rate of fire is effected by things such as ammunition, hammer springs, gas leakage, and cam paths.
    Last edited by rsilvers; 02-15-13 at 08:52. Reason: y

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    Test the rifle with your preferred H2 buffer, and if it is between 700 and 950 rpm, then it is within Colt M4 specs...
    That may be true. However, it is also not the full story. In order for the RPM measurement to have any meaning, it must be measured while using ther correct, acceptable parts. What buffer does Colt find acceptable? Does Colt use a carbine buffer? Does Colt find an H and/or H2 buffer acceptable? I'm asking because I do not know.

In my opinion, I'd rather the rifle worked properly with a carbine buffer as that means there is less mass banging back & forth inside the upper which reduces how much it disturbs the rifle during operation
    Last edited by MistWolf; 02-15-13 at 10:13.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    No, I run a H2 in my carbines. My point was instead of fixing an overgassed rifle, slapping in a heavier buffer is polishing a turd. No matter what you do its still a turd.
    I have no love for DPMS but since when is properly tuning the buffer to the gas system turd polishing? I guess the us military is turd polishing because they have NSNs for H, H2, H3 and H6 buffers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    I have no love for DPMS but since when is properly tuning the buffer to the gas system turd polishing? I guess the us military is turd polishing because they have NSNs for H, H2, H3 and H6 buffers?
    The H6 is for the M16 using a collapsing stock, and a H2 is now the standard for the M4.

There is tuning a rifle with a proper gas port and then there is polishing a turd with an enlarged out of spec gas port.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    The H6 is for the M16 using a collapsing stock, and a H2 is now the standard for the M4.

There is tuning a rifle with a proper gas port and then there is polishing a turd with an enlarged out of spec gas port.
    The H6 was matched to run with the rifle gas system, the H2 wasn't always the "standard" buffer, and the H3 was designed to run on guns with enlarged gas ports. The moral of the story? Use the buffer that runs in your gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    The H6 was matched to run with the rifle gas system, the H2 wasn't always the "standard" buffer, and the H3 was designed to run on guns with enlarged gas ports. The moral of the story? Use the buffer that runs in your gun.
    Better yet, Don't buy crap weapons with enlarged gas ports... that just makes to much sense though.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Too much overthinking for me. I checked the port(s) simply because I needed to remove the FSB for rail installs and mods. FWIW- they were standard DPMS carriers and I have used them with other builds and they were fine. I just don't use their mediocre bolts and barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    What was the cam path? What was the cyclic rate or the peak bolt carrier velocity?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345