Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: lets discuss cold weather clothing...

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

lets discuss cold weather clothing...

So, as probably all of us, Ive been really going over and inventorying my various preps...food, ammo stores, spare parts, every random supply I can think of...

I never gave it much thought since I've lived in the North my whole life, I always just assumed I have plenty of "cold weather" clothes. I do have quite a bit, but upon further investigation Ive recently realized I really DONT have a good set of high quality, rugged, and "earth colored" warm weather gear...

It's funny how "specialized" my clothes are...Ive got coats for snowboarding, I have a snowmobile coat, I have tons of heavy sweatshirts, I have random assorted long johns...but after really looking over what I have I've realized if I ever had to leave my house in the middle of winter I would really be wearing a mismatched assortment of cold weather gear, a lot of it very bulky...

So I was hoping to start a discussion and get some good recommendations. Im hoping to put together a set of warm weather gear for myself and my wife that we could rely on if we were forced into the outdoors for any extended period of time...

Im not looking for "supplies"...tents, sleeping bags, cooking gear, etc. I'd really just like to get tips/info on socks, thermals, pants, jackets, gloves, hats, etc...

After giving it some thought, the only requirements Ive come up with is that while I obviously need it to be very warm, I want it as NOT "bulky" as possible, and I want it in "earth" tones. Doesnt need to be "tacti-cool", just normal greens, blacks, browns, etc...no bright yellow ski-jackets (for obvious reasons).

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing some suggestions. Any links to websites would be much appreciated as well!

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I have a hoodie, a softshell, and some silk weight long underwear......I also live in Texas.

Valid point about having the proper cold weather gear.

Here is what I posted on it, link below:

1. Durable- That is all I have so it MUST LAST.

2. Comfortable- I may have to b moving by foot or any other type of means and all items need to be suited for that.

3. Versatile- The clothing will have to be able to be used for any possible situation, weather, or terrain .

4. Subdued colors- Looks like regular clothing but does not stand out in nature.

5. Not a "military" looking uniform- I figure in some cases you don't want to look like some "nut" running around in MultiCam.

Here is the list that I have for my TEOTWAWKI clothing list.

This is for the area that I live in, Central Texas.

Head Gear
    - Random Ball cap (Larue, Kifaru, Cabela's)
    - GrayWolf "RECCE" Boone Hat- Khaki
    - Under Armour bennie- Tan
    - Neck Gator- Brown

Tops
    - Silk weight base layer- Tan
    - TAD Gear Ranger Hoodie- Coyote (barely meets #5)
    - (2) Under Armour T-shirt- Tan/Brown
    - REI long sleeve shirt (cotton/poly)- Brownish/Orangeish
    - Mountain Hard Wear rain/wind jacket (packable)- Brown/Black

Bottoms
    - Silk weight base layer- Tan
    - (2) BDU style pants (cotton/poly)- 1 OD Green / 1 Tan (Everyone wears them so it is good for #5)

Foot Wear
    - (2) Silk Weight Socks- black
    - (4) Under Armour Socks- Black
    - Merrell Sawtooth

Gloves
    - Flight Gloves (Nomex) - Tan
    - Silk Weight Glove Liners- Black

Belt
    - HSGI Riggers belt- Tan (it has an extra long tail on it- very handy for a strap if needed)

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=78513
    Last edited by docsherm; 12-24-12 at 09:17.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Poly pros are some of the Best Long john type Cold weather gear I have I got them in the Military .and I love them to death Light weight warm and easy to get at good prices

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You've probably got everything you'll ever need. Buy an old cotton GI fishtail parka and wear that as your overgarment and you're back in nature's color.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My "snive" gear usually includes tan, FG, or grey fleece beanies, Patagonia R1 or similar warming layer in grey or FG, Marmot Gore-Tex paclite in their gargoyle grey, Softshell pants from Marmot, Patagucci, or Wild Things or equivalent, as well as a wind shirt or soft shell from the same. Most of my kit either is or is similar to the PCU.
    Overwhites (or any other color) are a good option, just make sure they are loose enough to not compress the loft of your warmies and shed water, not absorb it.

My current favorite jacket is the Arc'teryx Atom LT Hoodie.

If there is any interest, I can take some photos of of my winter load out and explanations of the whats and whys.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

cold

I stock happy suits. They are tan and very warm, used them through montana and washington in big storms. look up wild things usmc happy suits, just like expedition gear but subdued. layer that with poly pros, or better yet smart wool underwear, or maybe patagonia capalene. great wool socks, expedition weight and better yet the best boots money can buy! A good hard shell to go over the happy suit also, the best breathability rating you can afford.

something else is have the correct detergents to clean your goretex, todtex, etc. such as reviveX or NikWax, things that clean and restore without clogging the pores of the membranes. after all goretex acts as skin, allows vapor out and liquids out ideally. keep it clean and clear and stay dry
    “It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” Samuel Adams

Those that bleed with me are forever my brothers OCT 28

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I don't wear long johns, so its Carhart artic insulated coat over zipper leg bibs. For colder weather, I layer a polar-tec type shirt over the bibs before donning the coat. Leather mittens with liners are used for the most warmth, but I generally just wear insulated gloves if it's above zero degrees. The feet get insulated Sorel boots with wool socks.

Also when using the tractor and blower to move snow, I sometimes use a military wrap around cold weather cap that covers much of the lower face.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
    My "snive" gear usually includes tan, FG, or grey fleece beanies, Patagonia R1 or similar warming layer in grey or FG, Marmot Gore-Tex paclite in their gargoyle grey, Softshell pants from Marmot, Patagucci, or Wild Things or equivalent, as well as a wind shirt or soft shell from the same. Most of my kit either is or is similar to the PCU.
    Overwhites (or any other color) are a good option, just make sure they are loose enough to not compress the loft of your warmies and shed water, not absorb it.

My current favorite jacket is the Arc'teryx Atom LT Hoodie.

If there is any interest, I can take some photos of of my winter load out and explanations of the whats and whys.
    Tortuga - Good to see another NH resident kickin around here...I'd love to see some pictures/explanations of what you use. Thanks!

Tons of great info, time to start browsing the web and Sporting Goods stores...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Polypropylene is hard to beat for a base layer when it is cold and you are going be active then inactive for periods of time. Wool is a good insulator, as are the new synthetic materials. Layering for the conditions you will be key to your comfort. Avoid cotton in extreme climates and you may avoid hypothermia.

I use a base layer of silk in 45F and up. 45F and below polypropylene.

Gortex outer layer in possibility of wet weather.

Fleece or wool outer layer if no possibility of wet weather.

Cotton in desert climates.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blstr88 View Post
    Tortuga - Good to see another NH resident kickin around here.
    You too!
    I made the move down when the schoolhouse moved from Brunswick to Portsmouth.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast