Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering a 1911 for EDC.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Considering a 1911 for EDC.

Ok, my plan was to get a Glock 27 for a carry gun and to possibly use it as an ankle carry backup at work.

BUT I've found a brand new Kimber TLE II for about $850.00. I've always been intrigued by the 1911 and its classic lines, but in the fullsize version is this going to be a EDC gun? With a good leather gun belt and a crossbreed supertuck I think I could carry it concealed off duty (even during the summer). Does anyone else run this setup with a fullsize??

It seems like one of those "for the rest of my life" guns, something that i can be proud of and hand down to my kids (if and when).

Or should I just save some bucks and get a G27?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Depends on how you're built...some people conceal the 1911 better than others. I am lucky that I am built that I can conceal pretty much anything under the sun. In the pic below I am concealing a full size Wilson Combat with a Milt Sparks holster.

Whatever you carry, just make sure your gun is reliable. Kimber's QC have been called into question more than a few times.

Also- I imagine some people can comfortably conceal a Glock 27 in an ankle, but just know that it's basically a 2 pound weight and I find it impossible to walk around with that much mass on my foot.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like the Colt Commander XSE. It is lighter, as it is aluminum framed, and the shorter slide, and barrel make it a bit easier to carry.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    For sure, i'll wring it out before I start carrying it daily. Untill then I'll be carrying a G35....which isnt small by any stretch of the imagination.

Im a bigger guy, 210Lbs 6'2", I lift weights so I have a V taper which helps. I also live in a climate that allows me to wear multiple layers most of the year (except june/july/august).

The only hang up I have is mag. capacity. I love the ergos of 1911's (who doesnt?). But 7-8rds? Of course Im required to carry a reload, so I guess that doesnt matter anyway.

Feedback Score
    Milt Sparks makes several leather holsters for 1911 IWB carry. The VM II works great. Alternatively, RC makes good kydex options. I have both for my 1911 platforms.

Having said that, the Glock 19/26 have become my favorite CCW platforms due to size, comfort, capacity, etc.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score

Re: Considering a 1911 for EDC.

I carry a sig sauer c3 in a supertuck as my primary edc. I love it with my wilderness instructor belt.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shaneinhisroom View Post
    Depends on how you're built...some people conceal the 1911 better than others. I am lucky that I am built that I can conceal pretty much anything under the sun. In the pic below I am concealing a full size Wilson Combat with a Milt Sparks holster.

Whatever you carry, just make sure your gun is reliable. Kimber's QC have been called into question more than a few times.

Also- I imagine some people can comfortably conceal a Glock 27 in an ankle, but just know that it's basically a 2 pound weight and I find it impossible to walk around with that much mass on my foot.
    Now show pictures of you walking around and bending over at various angles and reaching up over head. A straight on LOOK!! I can hide a 50 cal DE with just a t shirt tells only part of the story.

Feedback Score
    Even an aluminum 1911 is generally too heavy for me for EDC.

I would suggest an alloy frame model with a barrel no more than 4.25 inches.

Holsters - I have fancy leather ones but now I like Kydex inside pants.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I carry a carbon steel government in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II.
    Two mags weak side in individual MS holders so that I can space them to my preference. I use either a MS leather or Wilderness Instructor 5 stitch gun belt.

I prefer this by far over: leather/kydex hybrids, VM style, and full kydex IWB.

The 1911 excels at IWB as compared to double stacks such as the 27 you noted.
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Just remember. That Glock 27 holds one more more round, weighs 27 oz, hides better, won't rust, cost half the price and is likely more reliable.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast