Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Budget" Patrol Rifle Build

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Litpipe View Post
    Looks good....but I would go with a diff buis. Matech is nice but he wont.be hitting out to 300m. Otherwise gtg.
    Point taken, but neither he nor I are excited about plastic rear sights, so with the MBUS out of the equation, the Matech is the next best budget choice (paid $40).
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    Looks good, good job on the build my friend. Ole sarge better enjoy that rifle or tell him that you will send an Apd cop to his house to take it back lol.
    Haha, yeah. Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by ARonBoard View Post
    Have you or he shot it yet? How was the performance?

The right branding seems to be in place on the necessary components.
    I just built it last night (well, actually finished it about 2AM this morning). I'm headed out now to test it. Fingers crossed, but the components suggest there should be no issues. I do always use dummy rounds to prove the action when I finish one and it passed that test last night/this morning.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: "Budget" Patrol Rifle Build

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Point taken, but neither he nor I are excited about plastic rear sights, so with the MBUS out of the equation, the Matech is the next best budget choice (paid $40).
    Why not mbus? They're more durable than metal sights...
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    Why not mbus? They're more durable than metal sights...
    Why not a polymer lower...it's more durable than a metal one?

Same argument, same position. Not knocking anyone's choice for MBUS, but they're not for me and my buddy didn't like the thought of them either. No offense intended, but we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.
    Last edited by ASH556; 02-09-13 at 13:01.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Haha, yeah. Thanks man!

I just built it last night (well, actually finished it about 2AM this morning). I'm headed out now to test it. Fingers crossed, but the components suggest there should be no issues. I do always use dummy rounds to prove the action when I finish one and it passed that test last night/this morning.
    No headspace check...
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score

I understand the hangup on plastic. I considered a matech for my duty rifle as well. I had three problems.

1). Small single aperture(spelling?). I have heard of people opening them up though.

2) Couldnt find many legit retail spots, and the ebays could have been fakes.

3) deplymemt/retention mechanism breaking.

Let us know how she shoots. Good lookin gun.
    Last edited by Litpipe; 02-09-13 at 13:05.
    "Seriously?" -SWATcop556

"I don't think so" - Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Litpipe;1541300]I understand the hangup on plastic. I considered a matech for my duty rifle as well. I had three problems.

1). Small single aperture(spelling?). I have heard of people opening them up though.

Don't most just throw an aimpoint on it anyhow?
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Why not a polymer lower...it's more durable than a metal one?

Same argument, same position. Not knocking anyone's choice for MBUS, but they're not for me and my buddy didn't like the thought of them either. No offense intended, but we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.
    Different polymers and different types of stress involved. We're talking compressive stress in a sight vs shear stress in a lower.

Every SME I can think of believes that mbus sights are good to go for hard use weapons, but if I'm mistaken, please let me know. I don't like making false statements. Tuohy of Vuurwapen Blog did a drop test and the mbus only suffered cosmetic damage while the Troy sight suffered zero shift and the diamondhead suffered pretty major damage.

But I guess agree to disagree. Just curious though, how do you feel about pmags vs aluminum or steel (hk) mags?
    Last edited by Koshinn; 02-09-13 at 13:30.

Feedback Score

[QUOTE=Airhasz;1541301]
    Quote Originally Posted by Litpipe View Post
    I understand the hangup on plastic. I considered a matech for my duty rifle as well. I had three problems.

Don't most just throw an aimpoint on it anyhow?
    I suppose some do. But its a buis for a reason. Chances are as an LEO all of his engagements will be within 70yds which is why I did not go for a matech.

But thats just me. Sweet rifle op.
    "Seriously?" -SWATcop556

"I don't think so" - Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

[QUOTE=Litpipe;1541312]
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post

I suppose some do. But its a buis for a reason. Chances are as an LEO all of his engagements will be within 70yds which is why I did not go for a matech.

But thats just me. Sweet rifle op.
    I was issued a matech and while mine never malfunctioned, many others with slightly more used sights had theirs pop up accidentally all the time.

You know a 300 yd zero roughly equates to a 25 yd zero, right? So a 300m sight is still effective at regular LEO engagement ranges. And the matech has an elevation lever for different ranges... Which is another reason I dislike it. It makes the sight taller when closed and can get adjusted accidentally if the weapon is worn/slung often because it's on the left.

Ash, if you want, I'll mail your friend a black mbus gen2 for free if he'll use it. That's how strongly I dislike the match and how much I like the mbus.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 02-09-13 at 13:50.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast