Thread: What are your thoughts on the EOTech 551?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What are your thoughts on the EOTech 551?

What are your thoughts on the 551?

I like the size of it and am thinking of mounting one on my patrol AR. Is it rugged enough for this task? What about battery life? I've also heard that N batteries leak is this true? Can (should) this sight be used in conjunction with a LaRue mount?

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't use it on a patrol rifle.

The problem with the EOTech is that it needs to be turned on before it will work and the battery life is poor (compared to an Aimpoint). You also cannot tell, just by looking at it, what setting it is on.

It may be fine for SWAT work, where you would have the time to op check it before using it, but a patrol rifle needs to be instantly usable.

I think that you should look at an Aimpoint, specifically a C3 in a Larue mount. Although it is more than an EOTech, you will save the difference in cost in batteries. You can leave the Aimpoint turned on for years and it won't turn itself off at the wrong time. You'll also know by looking at it what brightness setting it is on.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    IMO:

Get the 512/552 or one of the newer models. Every 511/551 I have ever owned ate batteries, disliked the cold, etc.

While at the same time every 552 I have ever owned ran like a champ.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up 553, if you can afford it!

I picked up a 553(123 batteries) and have run it in the last three classes i've taken with high round counts and its worked great! I've mounted an LMT rear sight behind it and it works out great, later!
    -ZM

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Go with 512, being able to use AA batteries cannot be stressed enough. They are so common its almost like having an Aimpoint battery life.

Well, almost.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Sell it and buy an Aimpoint.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Sell it and buy an Aimpoint.
    If you are happy with the dot reticule, do this. IMHO, there is no reason to own an Eotech except for the reticule! Don't compromise on the Eotech for price, that's only cheating yourself out of an optic that really fits you. $$$$ should not be a factor in choosing the Eotech over the Aimpoint.

I, however, like the Eotech reticule. 1 MOA in center for precision, 65 MOA ring for speed. Some say there is "too much going on". I like it, b/c it makes it easier to "find" in the glass when you bring the gun up quickly. I find that there are times when the aimpoint gets lost, particularly with awkward cheekwelds or low brightness, and it costs time to "find" it. The Eotech reticule is in your face. Some don't like that, I find it to be an advantage.

Thankfully, I have both to choose from, use what works for you. If you go with Eotech, stick to the AA rev. (f) models. These are tested, durable and good to go. Maybe not as good as Aimpoint durability, but more than is needed for any job.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I hate the N cell batteries. I would recommend the 512 as well.