Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proctor sling- a minimalist 2 point

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Proctor sling- a minimalist 2 point

I've been using VTAC and VCAS slings for several years, and last year tried the Mission Ready "Sheriff of Baghdad" sling. They are all good in their own way and have their own advantages.

I recently tried Frank Proctor's sling and I've found it to be an effective take on the "minimalist" approach to gear.

1) lightweight, but the webbing isn't too thin
    2) no tail to catch on your belt gear
    3) mounts quickly and easily without the need for 2 x $15 QD swivels, or QD swivel mounts that add weight and cost
    4) if you mount the front of your sling closer to the muzzle, as it mounts with a 550 para cord loop, your hand can get good purchase on the handguard since there is no QD socket

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyAcYA0MLkw

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have Larry's sling and have no reason to switch, but I'd buy Frank's sling if I need a second, just due to the fact it functions all the same, but lets the rifle lay flat on flat barricades.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have both of Frank's slings, and they're both great pieces of gear. I have found that I actually prefer his first version better though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Necro Post:

There has been some discussion about the BCM Gunfighter stock and Paracord/550 cord attachments, here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...e-works/page24

I took a look at the Proctor sling info (various videos), and noted that putting one of the vinyl tube cinches on (the forward or the rearward connection) was recommended as a retrofit. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6agYaKX4XA#t=170

I thought I would put together a quick and stupid tutorial about threading a doubled-up piece of paracord into a .17" diameter tube. I saw this as the only easy way to do this in a flash, and then, like an idiot, tried about four alternative ways to do it. This method should take less than two minutes with paracord, tube, scissors, and thin tool (fork tine) available.

This is the result you want (sort of, I couldn't find tactical black tubing, so I settled for tactical invisible; slick!):

Take a 1" (or whatever) length of tube:

Pull out the threads at one end of a length of paracord (how much? Perhaps 12" for the rear, longer for the front) for at least double the length of the tube (known as "gutting the paracord"). Do this by pulling back the paracord from the threads (leaving the threads anchored at the other end):

Cut off the threads, and pull on the sheath (the gutted paracord). You now have about 2.5" of gutted cord as a leader. Now fold that in half, and stuff it into the tube:

Use a tool to push the doubled-up gutted cord through the tube:

Keeping the nub at the end anchored, pull the long end through the tube. You now have a gutted sheath in the tube, and a complete portion of paracord along with it:

Even things out. You will have eventually have non-gutted paracord in the tube, and it will be tight (allowing the tube to stay in place when you cinch it in place). You may want to keep the gutted end because it is easier to tie (and retain) a knot with gutted paracord.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Amicus; 10-18-14 at 14:04. Reason: Messed up images
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Excellent pictorial. Where did you find the tube? Something a hardware or hobby store would carry? Kind of looks like windshield washer hose.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This was clear vinyl hose. Found it in the plumbing dept. of Home Depot, next to the fuel lines. Cost for 10': < $2.50. Proctor says he got his from the plumbing dept. of Lowes, but his was black.

I could not find vinyl hose at my local Ace.

The really difficult part was finding the armorers fork.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Thanks. Forget forks. Get an assortment of used dental pics. The duct tape of universal tools - straight, curved, hooked, spooned, scraper, etc.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I should have mentioned that the hose was .25" (8mm) OD and .17" (5mm) ID.

Feedback Score
    interesting, when I was stationed in the PI I remember seeing soldiers/police using 550 cord to tie their sling to the front sight.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That was common practice in the IDF (and probably still is). Biggest problem was heat from sustained firing would melt the 550 cord to the hot front sight.

IDF soldier:

IDF Front Sling.jpg

Detail:

IDF Front Sling Detail.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast