Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Noob settings for HD on AR

Feedback Score

Noob settings for HD on AR

I have a deal of experience with my M4 LE and practice at the range. However I'm considering keeping it ready at night as my HD gun. Tell me if I'm doing it wrong or unsafe and suggest how I should keep it. I'm keeping the loaded mag in, EOtech on, slide lock on. If needed, I figure I can hit the slide release and then thumb the safety off to bring it into action? I know I'll learn this stuff in my first AR class, but I want to go already knowing from you guys. Input?
    NRA Member

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    I just keep a loaded mag, closed bolt, and safety on. You have a good white light on there I'm assuming?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Do not keep the rifle stored with the bolt locked to the rear. It is not good for the spring. As RMiller stated keep it cruiser safe and charge the rifle and do a quick press check when things go bump in the night. If you are comfortable with leaving it loaded around the house than do that. I would put something in place to make sure your mind is set on the fact that your rifle is hot where it sits.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    I just keep a loaded mag, closed bolt, and safety on. You have a good white light on there I'm assuming?
    Yes, Surefire Millenium grip. Thanks.
    Darrin
    NRA Member

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's a personal choice but I would not recommend to anyone that they leave their AR locked back indefinitely because it may wear out parts, or accidentally close if bumped wrong.

If you are not comfortable with leaving it in condition one (mag inserted, loaded chamber, safety on), then you may want to consider having the mag inserted, bolt closed on an empty chamber, with safety on.

It only takes a second to rack the charging handle and flip the safety off.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    Do not keep the rifle stored with the bolt locked to the rear. It is not good for the spring. As RMiller stated keep it cruiser safe and charge the rifle and do a quick press check when things go bump in the night. If you are comfortable with leaving it loaded around the house than do that. I would put something in place to make sure your mind is set on the fact that your rifle is hot where it sits.
    Thanks, cruiser safe makes more sense. I have it in a steel gun cabinet and the key is on my night stand at night and in my pocket during the day. Not optimal I know, but it makes me wake up before I start handling my AR.
    Last edited by DarrinD2; 02-12-13 at 09:25.
    NRA Member

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Closed bolt. Saftey on. Download magazine by 2. White light source. POA/POI of optic offset.
    May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snakedoctor View Post
    Closed bolt. Saftey on. Download magazine by 2. White light source. POA/POI of optic offset.
    Why download mag by 2? First I've heard of that; does it wear out the mag spring?
    NRA Member

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's easier to seat the mag on a closed bolt.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrinD2 View Post
    Why download mag by 2? First I've heard of that; does it wear out the mag spring?
    Pat Rogers says he only loads mags to 29. I guess to lengthen spring life. I keep my AR condition 3, along with my M&P. In a defensive situation you do not know how much time you will have and I want to know my shit is ready. In my situation its only me and my wife, I dont have kids or anything to worry about, everyones situation is different, and you should do what works best for you and your most comfortable with IMO. Just make sure however you store your HD weapons you do it the same every time so when you need it you know what needs to be done with it when you grab the gun.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast