Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any tomahawk users here?

Feedback Score
    Over on bladeforums.com a lot of guys were talking about the cold steel tomahawks so I looked into them a bit and ordered a CS trailhawk for woods use. They aren't GTG right out of the box but for the price they aren't bad. Haven't really had a chance to really thump on it but it's light and should out chop my large knives.
    I don't collect guns, I accumulate them

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigghoss View Post
    Over on bladeforums.com a lot of guys were talking about the cold steel tomahawks so I looked into them a bit and ordered a CS trailhawk for woods use. They aren't GTG right out of the box but for the price they aren't bad. Haven't really had a chance to really thump on it but it's light and should out chop my large knives.
    Yeah I have a trailhawk as well. They are in the "meh" category. It didn't take long for the head to come loose. I need to lash it on with some 550 cord so it won't slip off. I find the blade to be too narrow to be that great for any sort of wood cutting and it doesn't throw very well.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had a bad experience as a youngster that turned me away from hawks. My brother had bought me Cold Steel Vietnam hawk one Christmas and, of course, immediately upon unwrapping it, we ran into the back yard to start lobbing it at our throwing log. First throw - missed the log completely. Second throw - a careening shot off the log. Third throw - handle first into the target, hickory handle shatters into 3 pieces. I never gave another hawk a chance after that. If I want a chopping type of weapon, give me a kukri. If I want a throwing weapon or stabbing weapon, give me a knife. I'd rather carry a spear or katana even...

I just don't see the point in them. IMO there's only one thing a tomahawk can do better than a kukri - be used as an effective throwing weapon - but that would be a last ditch move anyway. You shouldn't throw your weapon at someone unless you have a better weapon to use against them at hand. A few years back I had the idea of trying to make the tactical spear a big thing - my argument?

Say you're thrown into an arena with a stranger and you're forced to fight to the death. There are two weapons in the center of the ring: a tomahawk, and a spear - which do you go for?
    Last edited by Shao; 02-15-13 at 06:54.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    I had a bad experience as a youngster that turned me away from hawks. My brother had bought me Cold Steel Vietnam hawk one Christmas and, of course, immediately upon unwrapping it, we ran into the back yard to start lobbing it at our throwing log. First throw - missed the log completely. Second throw - a careening shot off the log. Third throw - handle first into the target, hickory handle shatters into 3 pieces. I never gave another hawk a chance after that. If I want a chopping type of weapon, give me a kukri. If I want a throwing weapon or stabbing weapon, give me a knife. I'd rather carry a spear or katana even...

I just don't see the point in them. IMO there's only one thing a tomahawk can do better than a kukri - be used as an effective throwing weapon - but that would be a last ditch move anyway. You shouldn't throw your weapon at someone unless you have a better weapon to use against them at hand. A few years back I had the idea of trying to make the tactical spear a big thing - my argument?

Say you're thrown into an arena with a stranger and you're forced to fight to the death. There are two weapons in the center of the ring: a tomahawk, and a spear - which do you go for?
    So you broke a hawk with a bad throw and gave up? Suit yourself.

We are not talking end of the world and we certainly are not talking about a Captain Kirk in a ring vs some alien Gladiator scenario. We are talking tomahawks, which are multipurpose tools that are great at nothing in particular, but can get the job done if they need to.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I like the nostalgia of tomahawks and have been wanting to get a good, functional one for a while, as well as one for throwing. I handled the ones made by 2 Hawks at a gunshow in December and they seemed like really nice hawks, even the wife wanted one!

The only one I have right now is a American Tomahawk Laguna Tactical.

Throwing knives and tomahawks is a fun backyard or camping activity, but I wouldn't want to throw one in self defense. I practice throwing lead for that.
    Good judgment comes from experience. And experience… well, that comes from poor judgment.

Feedback Score
    Throwing hawks and breaking handles are part of it.. You break less handles the better you get.. We tend to split each others hawk handles as and FU while throwing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ehhh.. I was a kid... It ruined me for life... I was proficient at knife throwing already and seeing my x-mas gift break like that was enough to scare me off from wanting another ever again. I really don't see any legitimate use for them. Like I said - a Kukri can chop better as well as pierce (something most hawks can't do).. I can only think of two things that you can do with a hawk that you really can't with a kukri - throw it, and hook appendages. I think the tactical tomahawk thing is a just a fad and will fade away. I'd take a 3/8" thick, 12-14" kukri hand forged by a group of nth generation bladesmiths from a Mercedes truck spring over some CNCed stock-removal stainless steel hawk any day. Sorry, just my opinion.

...and I still think the tactical short spear is a great idea... If any manufacturers are interested, PM me - I have prototypes and plans.
    Last edited by Shao; 02-15-13 at 09:18.

Feedback Score
    A friend of mine got me on hawks about a year ago. I went cheap with the large SOG and it cuts and splits better than I expected. Anyone looking for a way to carry it...SOG has a a blade sheath for belt/tekloc, put the spike in and rotate the blade up and it locks it locks in place.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post

Both, IF they both in the center I'll grab both and he'll be sol
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've got a smaller hawk made by Browning. Or I should say short handled on my bat-mo-belt. It also unsheathes from the bottom like described above.

It's a compromise from a long handled hawk, but meets my needs for being lighter and easier handling.

And I have a parang on my pack for a "larger" weapon. Or a spetsnaz shovel if I have to go all russian on somebody.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast