Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Any tomahawk users here?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

H&B Forge Medium Polled Axe. It lives on my hiking pack. It only weighs 1.68 lbs.

Feedback Score
    They do have a practical use, at least in my experience. I carried one as a "laminated glass breaching tool", on the back of my armor in a kydex sheath I made myself. This after trying to breach a large front-room window of a ground floor apartment and watching a halligan tool, break-rake and finally det cord all fail. We even got the biggest rock we could find and had the biggest lad on the team try to throw it through (training day) then went inside and tried to throw a chair out through it like we were in some damn movie or something. Many of the units in this complex had real glass, some had been replaced with laminated or plexi. Cutting it with tomahawk seemed to work best. Granted, enough det cord would sort out the window properly but it wouldn't do much for anyone inside the room so we never even pushed to see what it would take.

Feedback Score
    Nice, but would the holes in the hawk weaken it?

Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    I drew these out and Battlehorse Knives made these for me.....

Untitled by corycop25, on Flickr

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyohte View Post

H&B Forge Medium Polled Axe. It lives on my hiking pack. It only weighs 1.68 lbs.
    17 or 19 inch handle?

I can't seem to decide between that or a Shipbuilder's axe. Main use would be camping/backpacking. Handle on the SB is 19" and I think about a half pound more.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brushy bill View Post
    Nice, but would the holes in the hawk weaken it?
    The hawk is made with 01 tool steel. I would imagine that it is weaker with the holes but it is not a weak point in any way. They are there too lighten it but mostly for looks. It won't break...
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    17 or 19 inch handle?

I can't seem to decide between that or a Shipbuilder's axe. Main use would be camping/backpacking. Handle on the SB is 19" and I think about a half pound more.
    19". The shipbuilders is next on my list to get.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Took the family on our annual camping trip this last weekend. Brought my SOG Fasthawk mostly just to play with, throw at trees and such. I ended up forgetting my hatchet so I had to use the tomahawk in it place and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how well it did. I used it to chop small (6" diameter) logs and split them to get the fire going and it did fairly well. Obviously the hatchet would've been my first choice but the hawk was more than adequate as a replacement. And it was still fun to throw at trees.

Feedback Score
    As soon as I can give me gun gear habit a break, you better believe I'll be
    picking up a Shrike from RMJ tactical. The things can peel a car like a can
    opener. These are more than just hawks. They are weapons meant for
    dancing to a ballet of violence.
    Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.
    C. S. Lewis

Yes I even own the Magpul iPhone cover. Wanna make something of it?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhurt View Post
    They do have a practical use, at least in my experience. I carried one as a "laminated glass breaching tool", on the back of my armor in a kydex sheath I made myself. This after trying to breach a large front-room window of a ground floor apartment and watching a halligan tool, break-rake and finally det cord all fail. We even got the biggest rock we could find and had the biggest lad on the team try to throw it through (training day) then went inside and tried to throw a chair out through it like we were in some damn movie or something. Many of the units in this complex had real glass, some had been replaced with laminated or plexi. Cutting it with tomahawk seemed to work best. Granted, enough det cord would sort out the window properly but it wouldn't do much for anyone inside the room so we never even pushed to see what it would take.
    I would think a water impulse charge centered on a large window like that would knock it out of the frame if it didn't completely destroy it.

I've been looking at the Gerber Downrange Hawk as a lightweight, supplemental breaching tool, anyone have any input on these?

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Gerber-...omahawk--15576

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've been really interested in hawks for a while and at this point this tomahawk by 2 Hawks has me about ready to pull the trigger

http://www.2hawks.net/tomahawks/warb...rade-tomahawk/

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567