Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: General complaint.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Some thoughts...

Moderating a site gets old fast, its one of the reasons you see turnover in the mods. There is no way in hell Ill ever do it again myself, and my experience was on a smaller site.

I mainly come here for good technical info coming from those who know more than me. Anything that threatens that should be stamped out with extreme prejudice in my opinion.

I used to read damn near ever post on here say a year or two ago. Now, I dont read half of them. There are far too many posts that add nothing to the site, and are basically the ramblings of retards that need to go back to arfcom.

This probably looks like im trying to put my nose up the mods asses, but I dont give a shit, id rather have the site back we had two years ago, and if that means they have to start stomping on testicles, fine by me.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I own a couple of websites/message boards and moderating them is a pain in the ass. I've had my peepee slapped a few times around here and didn't like it, so I sent the moderator a message.

Calling out moderators in open forum is not a good practice. The better solution is to message the moderator in question and if you're not happy after that then send a message to the man in charge.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWATcop556 View Post
    I would be delighted if GD was nuked completely as it serves up 98% of the bullshit here.
    Me, too.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I tried having a normal conversation and the thread got locked before my questions were answered.

Note left: Contact the manufacturer.

That line could close just about any thread here.

It would have been nice to have the question answered and the information posted so anyone searching could find the answer also.

Feedback Score
    I stumbled upon this site in December when I was looking for my first AR. It didn't take long to realize that the knowledge here was superior to other sites I visited, but this bickering by the supposed top people on the forum does not portray that same feeling. Yes people should be respectful, but also don't take shit personally. I've learned a ton in a 2+ months, have been able to communicate with professionals in the industry, and have purchased multiple products from supporting vendors like Grant from G&R tactical...I'm not sure what goal of the site is, but I'm guessing that's it in a nutshell. Just because the site has evolved and there are a couple threads that are deemed a "waste of time" it certainly doesn't mean the forum is getting worse. Adapt to change or start your own site. If you can't read every single post, either find more time in your day or freakin deal with it. I don't know how else I would learn a bunch of good info for free...and I can't imagine a better way for vendors to make connections at low or no cost.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Fact # 1: Mods and Staff work for FREE.
    Fact # 2: People are SUPER whiny and annoying.
    Fact # 3: People threaten mods and staff on a weekly basis.
    Fact # 4: If people acted like adults and learned to control themselves, there would be ZERO need for a mod or staff.

C4

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I guarantee the mods' work load would drop by 80% if GD went away.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    I guarantee the mods' work load would drop by 80% if GD went away.
    I'd go so far as 95%.

There are other technical forums I (used to) visit unrelated to firearms. The reason I stop is the GD was so ought of hand.

And most importantly, while being a mod is a thankless job, they are not infallible. And criticism isn't just whiny complaining. I strongly feel that the quality of moderation has a direct impact on how a site is perceived. 1 mod or a single out of hand mod comment can ruin thousands of hours of positive work. Feedback is a valuable tool.

At the very least, go back and change voodoochild's comment to something like "You were warned and have been unable to continue in a manner reflecting the site's Code of Conduct. Thread is locked and discipline issued"
    Last edited by TXBob; 02-13-13 at 08:55.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    We shouldn't do it that way, and I am guilty of doing it too. That being said, no one except the mods and staff see the build up to the locks, bans, infractions, etc.

Usually, while two or more members are battling it out, we are discussing it. "Let it ride", "Lock it down"...."warn them both", "warn them all"....We cover the spectrum, so when the fan is finally hit, usually we've been letting it roll HOPING some adult discussion will seize the day.

Instead, it invariably goes downhill, and quickly. We get a snap reaction. The truly professional thing to do would have been to lock the thread upon the very first transgression of the rules, warn the adult males to stop breaking our rules, and move along. That professional response is met with threads talking about heavy-handed moderation, assholes closing threads when we are just talking, etc.

I have a novel idea for everyone:

Start being the moderator of any thread you are participating within. Moderate yourself. Adhere to our rules to the letter. Don't push the envelope. Instruct others about the content of our rules, and how the content in the thread may be running counter to those. Use the report button, and extricate yourself from the thread, if necessary.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    The message I got from my timeout was half focused towards the mod being tired of my views.
    Negative; that is not what was told to you. You were told that you're attitude was getting old and that you dont call out a mod that had just issued a "calm down or the thread will be locked" warning to everyone in the thread.

Your political beliefs have nothing to do with why you were issued an infraction that resulted in you being banned for several days. It was the bickering/unrespectful nature of your posts and the mod callouts (2x) that dropped you in timeout. So you can drop the "I'm the persecuted libertarian" shtick

A single person has not been singled out in any moderator action taken in recent past that I'm aware of. If you violate the rules, you get an infraction. There are around 10 people that will testify to this since I've hit that many with infractions since the 9th alone.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast