Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Colt - I'm in love!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

New Colt - I'm in love!

I just scored this yesterday at a shop. Came as shown with two other rubber grips and leather holster. Blueing is in great shape, small minor pitting near trigger in the trigger guard and also small amount near backstrap, near the back edge of the hammer. Otherwise it looks barely used. It has one of the best triggers I've ever felt on a revolver! I'm trying to figure out what year it was made. I felt the need for a snub nose for carry and was very happy to find this. I was considering a J-frame, but once I found this I new it was a required purchase. Plus I gain an extra round over the J-frame.

Hoping to shoot it later today.

Serial # is D05xxR. None of the websites I find have this area of serial numbers listed.

Last edited by jamesbern; 01-20-13 at 09:58.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Congrats. That looks fantastic.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    really Nice wheel gun that is a sweet Colt.
    One of the first handgun i ever shot was a 38 I still love them to this day even though I don't have one

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Great snag!

Every Detective Special I have fired has had a very good trigger out of the box, definitely better than most J-frames.

The only issue I have ever noticed is that it's just too big for pocket carry, then I go back to the Smith. Are you looking to carry it on your belt?

That really is a great revolver, and I'm envious. Have you thought about some new stocks for it? Maybe some rosewood? A pretty blue steel gun just begs for some nice wood to go with it.

Congrats again, and post some groups for us after you get a chance to shoot it. I bet you will be impressed. They tend to shoot very well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    wish they would bring back the python.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have owned four of those.,still have one.They are extremely acccurate snubs.Love shooting empty shotgun shells with them.I like them much better than J frames. They are on my short list of all time favorite handguns.You'll enjoy that one.Great pick up.
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong.A tax is a fine for doing well.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Jealous!!!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I hit the range and put about 100 rounds of Remington 130gr FMJ through it. My middle finger knuckle is sore as I have big hands and recoil would drive my knuckle into the trigger guard.

It shot well, better than me. I haven't shot a revolver in a while so I noticed many of my shots in DA were being pulled down. Single action was much better.

My main requirement before carrying is to be able to quickly put rounds on target (8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper) at roughly 20'. This impromptu test shows I can at least keep rounds on target. It didn't have a problem with that. I think with more rounds and practice through it, it can only get better.

I just ordered 200 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 125gr Standard Pressure HPs so i'm looking forward for them to come in.

I also just ordered a Lewis Lead Remover kit as there is a bit of leading in the edge of the chamber. For me, i'd just like to clean it up as I plan to only shoot jacketed bullets in it.

Next up is trying to find a nice IWB holster for it. It came with a nice J W O'Rourke leather belt holster which i'm wearing right now.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I've had very good accuracy with the Gold Dots in my two-inch revolvers. That was with both the standard pressure load you ordered, and the +P 135 grain loads.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    O'Rourke turns out some nice leather.Well made.
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong.A tax is a fine for doing well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast