Thread: "Blind" in one eye, will an Aimpoint suit me?

Feedback Score

"Blind" in one eye, will an Aimpoint suit me?

Short Version: Have you shot an Aimpoint while closing your non scoped eye? How did you like it?

Long Version:
    Ok, I'm not blind as so much as my vision is uncorrectable 20/40 and the grey matter between my ears ignores the signal from the bad eye in any situation where it gets input from the good. I can trick my brain into depth perception by wearing 3D glasses (yes to see tge real world normally I'd have to wear 3D glasses (not something that I do, ever).

I've coped just fine with this, I drive well, I served in the military, I shoot with the good eye even though its my nondominate side. Now I've only ever used iron's, and have hunted everything from squirrel to elk doing so, and and even when at the range I'm good enough to score Expert 70% of the time. However, there seems to be a strong following for the RDS as its faster and a bit more accurate than iron's. it seems like these RDS require you to find your target with the eye not in the scope and for the combined image to paint the red dot on your target. I'm not so sure this would work with me, so anyone have success with closing an eye while using an aimpoint, or does that defeat the purpose of the aimpoint?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had problems with eye dominance and running irons/dots. I got a pair of sun-/glasses, and cut out peice of paper, and blotted out non dom. eye side. After wearing around house for alittle while, was able to shoot irons like never had problem. As far as shooting red dot with one eye closed, I dont see why would be problem. But fixing problem might be the best solution, search around there are great threads on how to fix with many success stories. give it a try. Best of luck.
    Last edited by lunchbox; 02-13-13 at 22:16.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    OP, I have a very similiar problem to yours. I can see out of both of my eyes, but not at the same time. I cannot see 3D and never have. Unfortunately I also have astigmatism and myopia.

I have used Aimpoints (T-1, H-1) for several years. I have no problem with their use, with two caveats. One is that my astigmatism makes the dot a bit smeared. Even with corrective lenses, the dot is not perfectly crisp. The other is that I feel like I get more tube effect than most users of RDS do. From what I understand the people with two working eyes can sort of make the tube disappear and are able to superimpose the dot into their surroundings. (Just my understanding, I have never nor will ever see out of both of my eyes together.) I tend to end up looking through the little tube and focusing on the dot. I end up losing a lot of peripheral vision with these devices. I have compensated by moving the sight nearer to my good eye, so that I am seeing through the tube and using it more like a scope. I can get on the dot faster with it closer.

Honestly, I don't think the RDS is the best choice for one eyed folks. Not that it doesn't work, but the both eyes open shooting style it favors will never work for us cyclops. I am trying out a low power variable scope for use. I have run one class with it, and my times are better, and my vision was better. (I used the trijicon 1-4). Unfortunately, this is a more expensive option than using the Aimpoints. I'm continuing to practice with the 1-4, if it is actually a significant improvement, I'll probably dump the Aimpoint for my use.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    OP - Squinting is squinting - sure, you loose your peripheral vision, but you're there anyway. The Aimpoint will work fine (sans a major stigmatization issue) - and you still get the benefit of the best low light optic available (for most of us); and the widest field of view. Not to mention the battery life - there is no need to turn an Aimpoint off. Just change the battery every 12 to 18 months.

I'm weak-eye dominant and after decades of squinting with magnified optics and irons, it's very difficult for me to "instinctively" shoot two eyes open. I work at it, but will more than likely squint in pucker mode - even with the Aimpoint. You do the best you can with what you've got.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have been using an Aimpoint ML2 for about 15 years. My eyesight is not that great and I shoot with both eyes open.
    Last edited by T2C; 02-15-13 at 13:17.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by phx223 View Post
    Short Version: Have you shot an Aimpoint while closing your non scoped eye? How did you like it?

Long Version:
    Ok, I'm not blind as so much as my vision is uncorrectable 20/40 and the grey matter between my ears ignores the signal from the bad eye in any situation where it gets input from the good. I can trick my brain into depth perception by wearing 3D glasses (yes to see tge real world normally I'd have to wear 3D glasses (not something that I do, ever).

I've coped just fine with this, I drive well, I served in the military, I shoot with the good eye even though its my nondominate side. Now I've only ever used iron's, and have hunted everything from squirrel to elk doing so, and and even when at the range I'm good enough to score Expert 70% of the time. However, there seems to be a strong following for the RDS as its faster and a bit more accurate than iron's. it seems like these RDS require you to find your target with the eye not in the scope and for the combined image to paint the red dot on your target. I'm not so sure this would work with me, so anyone have success with closing an eye while using an aimpoint, or does that defeat the purpose of the aimpoint?
    it defeats the purpose, but if that's what you have to do to see, then that's what you have to do.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It sounds to me like you might as well take an advantage of a 1-X variable since you're unable to utilize the RDS in the way that it's most functional.