Thread: Lefty upper question

Feedback Score

Lefty upper question

Hi all.

As a former righty that had to turn lefty (shotgun to right wrist), I've been interested in converting my Colt AR to a lefty configuration for some time now. I already have the ambi safety and mag catch, so that's not an issue. With the desire to transform my rifle into a tactical carbine, I figured I might has well build up the upper as a lefty. A buddy gave me a left handed bolt assembly that uses a standard carrier (so I could keep the right sided forward assist). He also got me an A2 upper with the ejection port machined on the left side. I assume it's a DPMS, but I'm not sure. My experience with DPMS isn't the best, but the stuff was essentially free (he owed me money and I knew he'd likely never pay me back, so this was better than nothing).

I've been reading all I can about the Stag upper assemblies and the ones from DPMS. I've also read through several threads on here and a couple other forums and can't seem to find answers to my specific concern, so I thought I'd ask....

The DPMS appears to use a standard carrier with a modified bolt. I assume that would mean the cam remains on the left side of the upper and continues to rotate the bolt counterclockwise to lock up. The A2 upper I have is like this, but the Flattop model picture I saw by them doesn't look like the left side of the receiver is set up for that.

The A2:

The Flattop:

I understand the Stag leftys use a mirror image carrier so the FA would be on the left side. Since I already have a Colt carrier, I'd just as soon keep the FA on the right side. That would eliminate the Stag Arms setup. Plus, I don't think they sell just the upper receivers anyway. Plus I think the Stag setup would rotate the bolt clockwise and would thus prefer the barrel extenstion made with the lugs set up for clockwise rotation, though I've heard this isn't necesarilly required.

My question is.... Has anyone had any experience with the DPMS flattop upper and does the bolt indeed rotate counterclockwise to lockup? I've heard that they don't have a FA on them. Could someone confirm that as well please?

Thanks

Corbin Das

Corbin@CorbinDas.com

P.S. I see that the DPMS flattop lefty has the rail "slightly higher than an A3 upper". I'm wondering how much I'd have to compensate if I added a flip up rear site. The front site can only adjust so much.

Feedback Score

A2

I have the A-2 and it uses a right hand C and left hand Bolt. I think it locks up right. I will take a look at it when I get home Wednesday. I am on duty to day.

Feedback Score
    Thanks
    I found some forged uppers and lowers that haven't been machined yet over at DSA. I might just get the forged flattop upper blank and go to work with my milling machine, but that's A LOT of work. At least it'd be how I'd want it. Granted, the brass deflector on the right side would be useless, but that's OK.

Corbin

Corbin@CorbinDas.com