Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 Police (.308)

Feedback Score

Question Remington 700 Police (.308)

Greetings M4C Members!

The local FFL arms dealer down the street from me has a NIB Remington 700P Rifle as indicated:

Barrel: 26" Heavy Contour Free Floating
    Stock: Matte Black HS Precision Semi-Beaver Tail Palm Swell
    Bedding: Aircraft Grade Aluminum Bedding Block
    Optic: Leupold Mk III 3.5–10x40 Tactical (?)*
    Price: $1299USD

Let me preface that I have no experience with nor do I know anything about bolt-action rifles. There are myriads of these on the market in varying configurations and an overwhelming abundance of accessories and optics for said rifle. What I was thinking is that this may be an entry level means to get me into long range shooting and will see how it proceeds from here/there. If all goes well, this may possibly serve as my first bolt-action rifle. If not, I can save up and wait.

Any thoughts on this specific rifle would be gratefully appreciated!

* Did a Google search for said scope but could not find any information. Possibly dealer meant Leupold Vari-X III?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think that's an older scope that they don't make anymore.

By the way you probably should have put this in the Precision rifle section.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I think that's an older scope that they don't make anymore.

By the way you probably should have put this in the Precision rifle section.
    Thanks! Just noticed that soon after posting.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you're just looking to shoot something new I'd say go for it. You can get entry level Remington 700s for around $600 though just so you know. But I always have a lot of fun shooting bolt action rifles. Maybe there are some cheaper options but the r700 gives a lot of bang for your buck. If you just want a 308 you can look into semi autos too. They are just as accurate with faster follow up shots.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAxeShooter View Post
    If you're just looking to shoot something new I'd say go for it. You can get entry level Remington 700s for around $600 though just so you know. But I always have a lot of fun shooting bolt action rifles. Maybe there are some cheaper options but the r700 gives a lot of bang for your buck. If you just want a 308 you can look into semi autos too. They are just as accurate with faster follow up shots.
    Thanks! They also have a NIB Remington 700SPS for near the price you mentioned.

Feedback Score
    I've had a Rem700PSS for a year now and love it. It is very accurate and has a good stock and trigger out of the box. It is easily a sub-MOA gun and I have taken it from 100 yards to past 1,000 yards with great results. For the money, it is a great gun IMO.Attachment 15483

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    I've had a Rem700PSS for a year now and love it. It is very accurate and has a good stock and trigger out of the box. It is easily a sub-MOA gun and I have taken it from 100 yards to past 1,000 yards with great results. For the money, it is a great gun IMO.Attachment 15483
    Where did you find your PSS? I'm in the market for one.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CLHC View Post
    Thanks! They also have a NIB Remington 700SPS for near the price you mentioned.
    The SPS stock(Hogue over molded) is complete crap and will need to be replaced ASAP.

Bud's Gun shop lists the 700p sans optics and rings at $969.00(out of stock) so $1300.00 with the rings and glass installed doesn't sound too bad. But, I have no idea of the value of the Leupold scope.
    Last edited by luvmy40; 02-19-13 at 21:23.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Where did you find your PSS? I'm in the market for one.

Good luck I have seen a few on gun broker but for the most part I had given up on them. I put a PBR on hold at my gun store and then a week later they came through and had a 700 pss I quickly snatched it up. other than that I do not seen many anymore
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    The SPS stock(Hogue over molded) is complete crap and will need to be replaced ASAP.

Bud's Gun shop lists the 700p sans optics and rings at $969.00(out of stock) so $1300.00 with the rings and glass installed doesn't sound too bad. But, I have no idea of the value of the Leupold scope.
    Went to see the two rifles today. The scope says "Leupold Vari-X III Tactical" on the front bezel and the mount is Leupold. Also the Remington SPS looks like this one pictured but w/o the optic.

Again both are brand new, and I'm still marinating.

Thanks all!
    Last edited by CLHC; 02-20-13 at 19:15.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast