Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: My AK

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by texasyid View Post
    +1
    Maybe this is why people start hanging stuff all over them and trying to make them into something they are not instead of trying to adapt to the platform for what it was intended to be.
    Why don't you explain exactly what you think the platform was intended to be?

oh boy here we go. What I am talking about is the round itself. You can put all kinds of stuff on an AK but it is not going to make the 7.62 round any more powerful, flatter shooting or more inherently accurate.
    Nearly every time I post here you seem to get defensive and start to take things personally. I never said anything about an AR. I really don't know where you are coming from.
    No offense, but this argument is just bunk.

Hanging stuff all over an AR doesn't make the 5.56mm anymore powerful or flatter shooting either.

Optics DO narrow the gap between mechanical accuracy and practical accuracy though, and they do the same thing for AKs. Even more substantially so in fact. AK sights are useable but hardly ideal and the addition of a good optic narrows the gap between mechanical and practical accuracy even further than it would for an AR.
    Last edited by Redmanfms; 03-30-08 at 20:39. Reason: Typo

Feedback Score
    Why don't you explain exactly what you think the platform was intended to be?
    Adopted and standardized in 1947, it was designed by Mikhail Kalashnikov and originally produced by Soviet manufacturer Izhevsk Mechanical Works.[3] Compared with most auto-loading rifles of World War II, the AK-47 is compact, of comparable range, moderate power, and capable of selective fire. It was one of the first true assault rifles and, due to its durability and ease of use, remains the most widely used assault rifle. More AK-type rifles have been produced than any other assault rifle type in the firearm market segment.[3][4]

More of a machine gun rather than a rifle. Not intented to be a tack driver but everyone here already knows that.
    Not the original texasyid

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    More of a machine gun rather than a rifle. Not intented to be a tack driver but everyone here already knows that.

I think you just made Sarah Brady's argument that AKs are nothing more than bullet hoses...

This is not the forum to argue traditionalism over mechanical devices that demonstrably improve hit-potential when the goal is something other than bump-firing into the dirt.
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy196 View Post
    I think you just made Sarah Brady's argument that AKs are nothing more than bullet hoses...

This is not the forum to argue traditionalism over mechanical devices that demonstrably improve hit-potential when the goal is something other than bump-firing into the dirt.

ROFL...thanks Lumpy you just made my morning

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Updated original post with weight information and cowitness photos.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    oh boy here we go. What I am talking about is the round itself. You can put all kinds of stuff on an AK but it is not going to make the 7.62 round any more powerful, flatter shooting or more inherently accurate.
    I had no trouble hitting an MGM C-zone steel target from 200 yards offhand when I did my part on the trigger. I had no problem hitting the same target with Templar's iron sighted VZ-58 at 200 yards either....and I'm talking good center mass hits. From the prone position it was embarrassingly easy to make center mass hits at that range.

Given that guys using AR's in carbine classes were routinely missing the same target even with a more accurate weapon, ammo, and high-speed optics, it seems to me that the limiting factor on the AK platform is usually the guy behind the trigger.

I have missed lots of times with my AK...but they've all been MY fault, not the weapon's fault.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    it seems to me that the limiting factor on the AK platform is usually the guy behind the trigger
    Imagine that.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345