Thread: Rem 11-87 Premier

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Rem 11-87 Premier

I have an old 11-87 Premier that I used for hunting, some skeet, etc with a 28 or 30" barrel. I know nothing about it other than it takes 2 3/4 and 3" shells.

It has always been 100% reliable with a variety of hunting and target loads and I'm wondering if this would be suitable to set up, possibly with a shorter barrel, for home defense. what would need to be done?

ETA: I did some research and found out about the gas system. I specifically want to get a shorter barrel - will any of the Remington 11-87 barrels work?
    Last edited by ra2bach; 02-26-13 at 13:07.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    I have an old 11-87 Premier that I used for hunting, some skeet, etc with a 28 or 30" barrel. I know nothing about it other than it takes 2 3/4 and 3" shells.

It has always been 100% reliable with a variety of hunting and target loads and I'm wondering if this would be suitable to set up, possibly with a shorter barrel, for home defense. what would need to be done?

ETA: I did some research and found out about the gas system. I specifically want to get a shorter barrel - will any of the Remington 11-87 barrels work?
    I have NO first hand experience with the 1187 but always heard they only like max loads with the shorter barrels.. Remington list a couple of 21" barrels (rifle sights or scope mount) but the price will make a new short barreled 870 or Mossberge pump look real attractive. In my opinion a pump is a better home defense gun. GH

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The 11-87 is one of the cheaper semi autos around and in my experience work very well, they just have to be maintained.

Honestly I would just have one dedicated skeet gun and one dedicated tactical gun. I have a 11-87 Premier Skeet which is my go to skeet/clays gun, I love it.

On a lark, using an 11-87P w/ rifle sights, I shot wobble trap using lighter (1oz) Gameclub #8 birdshot loads. It seemed to cycle fine. I didn't break any records but it's possible to do.

I got my 11-87P last year for about $800. Only a couple hundred more than the 870P.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 02-26-13 at 16:56.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=113953

Feel free to post or PM me any questions. I'm glad I did these mods!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Outstanding. this is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I'll just move this on over to that thread if you don't mind...

btw, my gun must be about the same age as yours because because the first three letters/number of the serial number is the same.
    never push a wrench...