Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Armor Express Aries III+ plate (100% polyethylene) for M855 AND M193?

Feedback Score

Armor Express Aries III+ plate (100% polyethylene) for M855 AND M193?

I want plates that can do the common 5.56 rounds for SHTF and would like it light weight. I don't want ceramic and metal is 7.5lbs per plate for the most part. But there seems to also be polyethylene which would cut the weight in half.

Well I found a plate that I think meets what I'm looking for, it's extremely lightweight 3.6lbs and is a III+ plate. - which I've been told by BodyArmoroutlet.com that it does in fact do M855& M193 (which apparently is what the + rating adds). It's pricey but buy once cry once and if SHTF and I ever have to use these ill be glad I spent the extra fiat currency while I could.

These even come with one of the best anti-spalling coatings - Line-X

$499 Aries III+ @ BodyArmoroutlet.com

AriesPlate

The other plate I was considering was Armor Express's Titon III+ metal plate which per BAO is one of the most impressive metal plates available and does M855& M193 (hence the + rating)

I would assume the people at BAO know what they're talking about, but figured it doesn't hurt to quadruple check when you're dealing with plates and dropping some serious coin.

One of the guys at BAO said they fired thousands of various rounds at one plate during a training. Said they were the most impressive metal plates hes seen and they were the ones he personally wears/has. I figured he knew what he was talking about since he works at BAO. He also sounded pretty knowledgable in general and didn't sound like he was bullshitting me.

We also talked about AR500 and its hardness of 500 Rockwell and how it cant do M855 & M193 but the Tritons Rockwell is much much higher on the III+ (although he didn't know exactly what is was) and can do them with no issues.

Then I started looking at the other Armor Express plates on their site and found the Aries III+. He said if he could afford it he'd be running them over the Tritons as well. I really love their lightweightness and the fact they're not ceramic and don't have to worry about them cracking & getting X-rays.

The downside is I can't jump in a volcano with them, but these are either going to be stored in a cool dry place or on my body during SHTF so I'm not worried about temp affecting them. I won't be keeping them in my trunk or anything along those lines. I live in the north for what it's worth.

I just wanted to triple check the M193 & M855 stopping ability on the Aries III+ plates before dropping some serious coin on them.

If I wouldn't have found the Aries III+ I would have already bought the Triton plates as they're a top end metal plate for a very reasonable price.

There is probably no perfect anti spalling coating yet, but the Line-X has to be better than nothing and will drastically reduce spalling that tears up your carrier.

Feedback Score
    Per Bulletproofme.com's info on Polyethylene rifle plates:

"An Ultra-light plate to stop Level III threats. 100% high molecular weight Polyethylene is ~.9" thick (~23 mm.), and more expensive, but INCREDIBLY LIGHT.

The main tradeoff is you don't get a protection rating for Level IV Armor-Piercing (AP) threats such as .3006 or 7.62 by 51mm AP, or the semi-AP 5.56mm SS-109 / M-855 (the M-16 round). Will stop the common AK-47 MILD Steel Core 7.62 X 39mm threat, though"

So it seems that normal high quality poly plates cover M193 but NOT M855. Which is normally their only real downfall.

Apparently the "+" on Armor Express's Aries III+ is also able to do M-855 according to the rep at BAO.com - but that's what I'm here to triple check before placing an order.

If I can't do the two most common rifle rounds in 5.56 I don't see the point of plates. I don't want ceramic & trying to be as light as possible. So for me it's either polyethylene or the metal Triton III+ plates.

Armor express also offers a "normal" Aries level III plate for $459, which is only slightly cheaper than the III+ and a Aries level IV hybrid plate for $1149 that is more than twice as expensive as the III+.

The Aries level IV is the ceramic/poly hybrid.

Aries poly plate series:

III (Polyethylene SAPI) @ 3.4lbs is "test to NIJ 2005 IR Level III Conjunction"
    III+ ([span style='font-weight: bold;']Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene SAPI[/span]) @ 3.8lbs is "NIJ [span style='font-weight: bold;']0101.06[/span] Certified Level III Stand Alone"
    IV (Silicon Carbide/Polyethylene hybrid SAPI) @ 5.9lbs is a ceramic/poly hybrid plate & is "Tested to NIJ 2005 IR level IV stand alone"

Bulletproofme.com's polyethylene plates are "Level III NIJ Certified [span style='font-weight: bold;']0101.05[/span] Stand-Alone"

So I assume there is a rating difference between NIJ certification of 0101.05 & 0101.06, with 06 being a higher rating?

Triton series:

III is a Ceramic/Aramid hybrid with rubber coating @ 5.2lbs & is "NIJ Certified Level III conjunction"
    III+ is a steel plate with rubber coating @ 7.5lbs & is "NIJ Certified Level III stand alone"

Their Aries III+ is 100% poly & seems to be the sweet spot between protection, weight & price. - I'm more worried about all of the AR's & 5.56 ammo during a SHTF scenario than I am with 30-06.

If I could afford level IV then sure I would get them, but $1149 per plate is beyond my means & i'm already stretching it to get the level III+ @ $500 per plate.

I just think the technology is getting better & better, even more so than it was a year or two ago.

Feedback Score
    .05 and .06 are different test conditions, not different ratings.

Like I stated before, we have never seen a compressed PE plate (ie. 100% Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene) stop M855 or the more penetrative M855A1.

Likewise, 1/4" AR500 and AR600 will not generally stop M193.

I am highly skeptical of any comments coming out of Armor Express--keep in mind this is the company Davis started after he lost Second Chance as a result of his odious lying and deception regarding Zylon.

Ask to see the independent test lab results--if they don't show them to you, it did not happen. Also pay close attention to the distances, velocities, and projectile types used for any purported testing.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Likewise, 1/4" AR500 and AR600 will not generally stop M193.
    Doc,

For AR500 steel, do you find more failure with M193 or M855 Green tip.

I ask because I am testing some AR500 plates and wanted to see which round to focus more of my attention to.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    AR500 steel typically stops M855 just fine.

Feedback Score
    My main concern is stopping M855 AND m193 since they seem to be the most common & biggest threat in the most popular rifle platform, the AR15/M4. It seems most plates are a compromise with protection of one or the other, but not both.

I do not want ceramic because of cracking and micro-cracks and needing to be xrayed every year, which is obviously an additional expense. This is going to be a setup for SHTF and needs to be durable since the option to replace it might not be possible.

What plates are known to stop these two rounds?

I read your write up on the plates you've tested and the AMI TAC3S seems to be the most impressive, but also the most expensive @ $675 per plate.

Is there anything else out there?

I'd like to go as light as possible but also realize that's an oxymoron when dealing with metal plates.
    Last edited by JohnnyScience; 02-22-13 at 09:23.

Feedback Score
    I guess I am confused....if the plates are for "SHTF", then they are not going to be worn every day. If you are not in LE, they are not going to be bouncing around in the back patrol vehicles with another 300 lbs of gear crashing into them. They are definitely not going on a military deployment where they are going to get dropped on steel decks, banged into steel hatches on armored vehicles, and generally abused by grunts. So why are you worried about durability and annual non-destructive testing?

AMI Tac3S is a solid mid-priced plate--there are many other very capable plates that will also stop M193 and M855, but costs can be up to $1500 per plate.

NINE different plates capable of stopping both M193 and M855 are listed in this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=32839; that thread does not even include things like the BAE SOLAR plates or the Velocity Systems PBZ plates which also work--how many options do you need?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Doc,
    Could you recommend a plate that can take the abuse of bouncing around in a trunk, but still stop the "most common" AR and AK rounds? I was leaning toward a PE plate, but the info in this thread is great. I would rather have a little more weight as long as it gets the job done. I'd like to stay under $500 a plate. Also, the plates would be used over level III body armor.
    Last edited by jeh; 03-06-13 at 08:56.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    http://www.velsyst.com/documents/PDF_VS_PSR_1012.pdf

I am wearing these and according to Velocity Systems they are rated to stop both M193 and M855. I do not know about M855A1.

ffh

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Doc,

I was wondering if you, or anyone you know, have tested the Velocity Systems VS-P34-1012 plates?

These: http://www.velsyst.com/documents/PDF_VS_P34_1012.pdf

If so how did they hold up?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast