Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Armor Express Aries III+ plate (100% polyethylene) for M855 AND M193?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I guess I am confused....if the plates are for "SHTF", then they are not going to be worn every day. If you are not in LE, they are not going to be bouncing around in the back patrol vehicles with another 300 lbs of gear crashing into them. They are definitely not going on a military deployment where they are going to get dropped on steel decks, banged into steel hatches on armored vehicles, and generally abused by grunts. So why are you worried about durability and annual non-destructive testing?

AMI Tac3S is a solid mid-priced plate--there are many other very capable plates that will also stop M193 and M855, but costs can be up to $1500 per plate.

NINE different plates capable of stopping both M193 and M855 are listed in this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=32839; that thread does not even include things like the BAE SOLAR plates or the Velocity Systems PBZ plates which also work--how many options do you need?
    As mentioned these are for SHTF, so if I ever have to use them I imagine they will be abused and since SHTF, there is a good chance these will be he only plates ill ever have and don't want the issues of fractures and cracks with ceramics. Especially since I won't be able to get yearly X-rays or replace them. Even beyond SHTF, I wouldn't want a plate that requires a yearly X-ray as I imagine that would be very expensive. I want to buy once and cry once knowing I bought an indestructible plate as possible.

the most important factors im looking for is the lightest weight plates I can get that are NOT ceramic and can protect against m193 AND m855.

After reviewing that thread it seemed that the Defenstech DT855 were perfect. - anyone know their price point when they were available by the way?

I've tried contacting DT a dozen times, sent emails and never heard back from Allan, which is the president of DT and who answers the 800 # when you call and their 202 # just hangs up on you after 4 or 5 rings. I talked to him a couple of times and he said he would get back to me and just never did. He hasn't answerd my calls since and I'm beginning to think that DT is no longer in business. When I did speak with him he said he didn't think they had any in stock and was supposed to get back to me when they would be back in stock.

So is there any other plate out there that rivals the DT855 in weight, materials and protection against 193 & 855?
    Last edited by JohnnyScience; 03-13-13 at 03:34.

Feedback Score

Armor Express Aries III+ plate (100% polyethylene) for M855 AND M193?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyScience View Post
    As mentioned these are for SHTF, so if I ever have to use them I imagine they will be abused and since SHTF, there is a good chance these will be he only plates ill ever have and don't want the issues of fractures and cracks with ceramics. Especially since I won't be able to get yearly X-rays or replace them. Even beyond SHTF, I wouldn't want a plate that requires a yearly X-ray as I imagine that would be very expensive. I want to buy once and cry once knowing I bought an indestructible plate as possible.

the most important factors im looking for is the lightest weight plates I can get that are NOT ceramic and can protect against m193 AND m855.

After reviewing that thread it seemed that the Defenstech DT855 were perfect. - anyone know their price point when they were available by the way?

I've tried contacting DT a dozen times, sent emails and never heard back from Allan, which is the president of DT and who answers the 800 # when you call and their 202 # just hangs up on you after 4 or 5 rings. I talked to him a couple of times and he said he would get back to me and just never did. He hasn't answerd my calls since and I'm beginning to think that DT is no longer in business. When I did speak with him he said he didn't think they had any in stock and was supposed to get back to me when they would be back in stock.

So is there any other plate out there that rivals the DT855 in weight, materials and protection against 193 & 855?
    I think you are over thinking it.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Look at it this way, for said SHTF scenario, you will likely be attacked by a horde of starving scallywags armed with Mosins, and that 7.62.54r will be a bitch to stop.
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by sadmin View Post
    Look at it this way, for said SHTF scenario, you will likely be attacked by a horde of starving scallywags armed with Mosins, and that 7.62.54r will be a bitch to stop.
    Honestly more concerned about Bubba with his old 30-06 and the black tip AP he bought at the gunshow 20 years ago. I suspect he's more dangerous than the legions of Mosin owners shooting milsurp ball.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash05 View Post
    I think you are over thinking it.
    Not really, I want as light of a plate that's possible, that is isn't ceramic and stops 193 & 855.

Pretty reasonable since the AR platform is the most common thing out there. I want something that will stop the two most common rifle rounds.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyScience View Post
    Not really, I want as light of a plate that's possible, that is isn't ceramic and stops 193 & 855.

Pretty reasonable since the AR platform is the most common thing out there. I want something that will stop the two most common rifle rounds.
    I guess I don't intellectually understand your aversion to Ceramic Armor.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash05 View Post
    I guess I don't intellectually understand your aversion to Ceramic Armor.
    Because ceramics are good for what, 1-2 hits and then they're not reliable? I want something that is more "durable". During a SHTF scenario you might need something with a longer shelf life beyond 1-2 shots.

Does that make sense?
    Last edited by JohnnyScience; 03-13-13 at 21:02.

Feedback Score

My understanding has been that ceramic level iii and iv are multi hit rifle, up to roughly six hits unless AP, wherein the level iv is one hit. Steel has weight and spall issues, but the rating is likely the same.

Feedback Score
    JohnnyScience--The only plate that meets your requirements is the AMI Tac3S.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    JohnnyScience--The only plate that meets your requirements is the AMI Tac3S.
    That was my first choice after reading your testing & review thread. I just wish they were a little more affordable. I may just have to save up for them, but not sure if they even sell to civilians?

Any idea or word on Defenstech & their DT855 plate?

Is anyone familiar with Armor Express Triton III+ metal plate? They're only $140 per plate and supposed to be pretty impressive for protection. Only downside is they're on the heavier side, 7.5-7.9lbs per plate. Which unless you go poly or a light weight ceramic, most plates are in the 7+lb range.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast