Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideal loads for Smith 36 J-frame

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Ideal loads for Smith 36 J-frame

I don't have in-depth knowledge about revolvers.

Now, I heard that with a classic no dash Model 36, that one should not use +P ammo. I heard it on random parts of the internet, so I'm not sure how truthful that all is.

So I'd like to get a clarification. What ammo is best for that weapon for a) normal shooting/practice and b) protection?

Thank you.

ETA: I found a bunch of old .38 ammo that appears to be military M41 ball, with a funny looking jacketed round nose bullet. (I had never seen that for revolver ammo before). Would this be OK to blast through at the range, or is it corrosive?
    Last edited by rojocorsa; 02-25-13 at 14:38.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A steady diet of +P ammunition will stretch the frame on an old J-Frame. You can fire a few rounds to see where they hit and practice with standard velocity ammunition. I carried Federal Ny-Clad ammunition years ago, but I don't know if it is still available. I am not a big fan of the Win. Silver Tip.

When I owned a Model 36, they way I saw it was that my life was worth wrecking the revolver if I had to use it to defend myself.

Check the head stamp on the military ammunition. If it is military issue, I will bet it's 130g FMJ. The U.S. Military hasn't issued handgun ammunition with corrosive primers for at least 50 years.

A lot of military issue ammunition produced during WWII was corrosive, but not much corrosive ammunition has been produced since then.
    Last edited by T2C; 02-25-13 at 14:56.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    So +P is OK to shoot sparingly, and obviously for defense. With that being said, what loads should I look at?

The headstamp for all that ammo I was talking about is mostly RA and year (I think that means Remington Arms), and there is a lot of WCC and year. The WCC stuff is from the early to mid 60s and very clean looking; still looks new. Some of these are from the 50s as well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would carry the Ny-Clad if I still owned an older alloy J-Frame. I have put down a few coyote and deer with the round fired out of my J-Frame and almost all of them opened up nicely. The Winchester Silver Tips never opened up.

http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...un.aspx?id=828
    Last edited by T2C; 02-25-13 at 15:30.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've got an aluminum frame 638 that I won't shoot +P or even heavy bullets from. I keep it loaded with 115gr Hydrashoks. I don't care if it is rated for +P. I don't trust it. I remember reading an old gun mag article about blown up airweights when I was a kid.

Feedback Score
    Even in +P rated J frames I prefer stand pressure for practice.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have done a little more research around the web, and I learned of a load called the FBI load which is a +P 158gr LSWCHP and that some people favor those in their snubbies because the soft lead will definitely expand.

I think that I may be worrying too much about overpressure due to my lack of inexperience with wheelguns and snubbies in particular. I don't want this thing to blow up after 50 rounds.

I guess when in doubt it makes sense to go for that Nyclad, but I want to learn about the other options as well. I see that Speer makes a Gold Dot for short barrels as well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    I have done a little more research around the web, and I learned of a load called the FBI load which is a +P 158gr LSWCHP and that some people favor those in their snubbies because the soft lead will definitely expand.
    I carried the FBI load for years, because urban legend said it always expanded. A few years ago I had the opportunity to shoot the FBI load out of my J-Frame into ballistic gelatin. None of the projectiles expanded. We fired the Speer 135g GDHP and it expanded every time. The GDHP is what I carry in my current J-Frame, but it is rated for +P ammunition.
    Last edited by T2C; 02-26-13 at 07:50.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Interesting. Alright.

I already like the Gold Dots, and that just affirms it.

I can't wait to shoot this gun, as I never have shot anything like it. I'll get some pics when I can.

Feedback Score
    Standard pressure loads for practice, I prefer lead ( cheaper and in revolver usually more accurate) 158 Lrn or 148 wadcutters . While it would not be a first choice it is not unheard of to carry the wadcutters also.
    With plus p in any revolver the general rule I see most people follow is buy a box of whatever carry load you will use ( do not have to be nearly as fussy as you do with autos ) shoot 15 to know where they go in relation to poa then carry them. Depending on how you feel about it once a year for me- shoot those in the gun and remainder of the box. 50 plus p a year in a steel frame gun like the 36 will have it worn out in about 100 years

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast