Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Duty" Folding Knife

Feedback Score
    18 (95%)
    I'd look hard at a ZT 0350.

Feedback Score
    Last edited by Alexander; 03-23-13 at 20:49.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    Benchmade Barrage or Mini-barrage, but they are spendy at $100+.
    I would advise against the barrage, or assisted opening in general. My 580 failed, but unlike my autos, when the mainspring failed, the blade totally locked up (ie. It was about half way open, would require a mallet to pound the blade open or closed). Had to be sent back to BM, they fixed it, but still....

I'd just get either a manual BM, such as the 810 Contego, or an auto like the Benchmade AFO II, Microtech LUDT, or Protech.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    I'm not in the military so your duty requirements may be different that those of LE, but I've carried a Benchmade Mini-Griptillian and recenlty replaced it with a Benchmade Rift. I really like the Rift and its solid and has a great cutting belly but it is pretty big. Honestly the Mini-Griptillian is a great all around knife and probably served my duty purposes a little better because of the handy size but it's much better for off-duty than the Rift. I carry a different knife off-duty because its NOT cool to trim your kid's straw at Cracker Barrel with the same knife you opened a glassine envelope with and the Rift is definately too big for that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    Check out kershawguy, he has Zero Tolerance blems at a great price. That being said, I have a ZT 0350 that is just about perfect. I know you do not get a discount on them but with the blem deal, it may work out to be the same. The ZT 0200 is another awesome knife, but it is a true beast in size!

http://kershawguy.com/products-page/zt-blems/
    Thanks for the heads up! I sold a 301 a while back and regretted it. Just picked up another for $165.

Feedback Score

Re: "Duty" Folding Knife

+1 Kershaw. 1550 or 1830, depending if you like all black or not.

Sent via Tapatalk+Autocorrect: If you can figure out what it says, don't worry about the spelling
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: "Duty" Folding Knife

Between the 3 companies you mentioned benchmade all the way. Axis locks are extremely strong and allow one handed closing. Not to mention benchmade uses premium steels in most if not all their blades. The only thing I dislike about benchmade is none of mine came very sharp from the factory. Easily remedied with a spyderco sharpmaker.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Gerber and SOG straight up suck ass. Benchmade is awesome. Check out the 710 (one of the most popular knives ever) 940 Osborn, Rift, Adamas. You said your price range is under $140 and there are a lot of Kershaw and Spydercos in that range too. I like the Kershaw Blur, Boa, also the ZT 0350 and 0200 in your range. Spyderco military and para military are really nice too.

Feedback Score
    I have a Benchmade Triage, and I really like it. There are a few different versions for the blade, so you have a few options to get exactly what you want. My only gripe is that I wish the rescue hook locked in the out position like the blade does.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Hard to go wrong between Benchmade, Kershaw, and Spyderco. You'll get great warranty service from all of them and find discounts/deals on the knife you want. I would aim for at least S30V or D2 steel because I prefer to go longer between sharpening and run thinner edges, where 154CM and cheaper steels don't hold up as well.

If you want more of a pure slicer, check out the Spyderco Military (for a 4" blade), Paramilitary (smaller ~3.5" blade), or Manix 2 (~3.5" blade but beefier handle). If you want a stouter blade, check out the Zero Tolerance line from Kershaw (i.e. 0350, 0566 coming soon).

Are you looking for a particular blade shape? Length? Weight? For example, the BM Adamas and bit ZT folders are pretty heavy for most people, but personally I don't "feel" a folder in my pocket that's under 4oz.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast