Thread: Kids survival training photo essay

Feedback Score
    59 (100%)

Kids survival training photo essay

The first few comments that were posted were sadly rather reactionary...things are turning around a bit now :-)

http://totallycoolpix.com/2013/02/ki...ival-training/
    Last edited by hatidua; 02-27-13 at 15:48.

Feedback Score
    The article was 99% about how to safety handle guns.

Did not see anyone shooting or doing anything survival related. Camping and holding a gun is not survival training!! :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by skd_tactical View Post
    It's a shot in the dark ... I have a better chance of guessing when my wife will be mad for no reason.
    "If your not using an aimpoint, you need to take a ****ing piss test." -LAV

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Maybe they should start with physical fitness as part of their "survival training". A few of those guys would get winded from a walk back to the car to get the tent.
    Join Gun Owners of America Here

Fear causes hesitation and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. - The Bodasafa

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
    Maybe they should start with physical fitness as part of their "survival training". A few of those guys would get winded from a walk back to the car to get the tent.
    SURVIVAL is not just about running around in the woods like Bear Grylls... Surival often times is more "procedure" of making shelter, fire and finding water (low cardio)... MIND and knowledge is the most important aspects of survival.

Someone always has to crack on fat people trying to do what is right rather than sit on their arse watching football and playing video games like most males... Give the dudes a break... I am glad to see them out there...

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn View Post
    SURVIVAL is not just about running around in the woods like Bear Grylls... Surival often times is more "procedure" of making shelter, fire and finding water (low cardio)... MIND and knowledge is the most important aspects of survival.

Someone always has to crack on fat people trying to do what is right rather than sit on their arse watching football and playing video games like most males... Give the dudes a break... I am glad to see them out there...

Rmpl
    This is true, however these guys are not making fire, finding water, and creating shelter. They are setting up tents and teaching gun safety. Bear grylls is indeed a horrible example of a survivalist, but these guys arnt great ether (albeit they are at the opposite end of the spectrum).

I know plenty of survival instructors who know their shit and are overweight, so i dont judge people just on that. (id hate on these guys for their tapcod up sks, before their weight!!)

Everyone on this site knows the "That guy" with a stag or something that thinks he knows everything, but cant actually shoot. Survival has (per capita) more of "those guys" than shooting even.
    Quote Originally Posted by skd_tactical View Post
    It's a shot in the dark ... I have a better chance of guessing when my wife will be mad for no reason.
    "If your not using an aimpoint, you need to take a ****ing piss test." -LAV

Feedback Score
    Maybe its just me, but teaching my 9 year old "enemy contact drills" is a little bit much. A 15 year old or older maybe but 9? To me, survival training would be more bushcraft than US Army TTP's... just me though..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I liked the tacticool red gloves

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by warrior9504 View Post
    I liked the tacticool red gloves
    Snap On, makes them even more "bad asser"

Feedback Score
    I agree, in boyscouts we learned marksmanship with 22's. But spent 99% of our time learning to build fires, cook, clean, firstaid, physical fitness, and problem solving while working in groups. much more valueable than gunfighting. let them learn to take care of themselves before you start teaching them combat, that can wait till they get older.
    Red Rider BB gun - Lever Action
    Daisy Model 10 BB gun
    Crosman CO2 BB Pistol
    Daisy F16 Slingshot
    McDonalds Straw and spitballs

Can you believe people actually list thier guns as a signature?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ya'll are missing the point that this "photo essay" was shot by a member of the media, not by one of the people taking part in the drills. Not bashing Brian, professionally he is very well know and respected, but as a visual journalist, he is displaying the images he knows will bring the most reaction. Cute pictures of kids learning how to build a fire are not going to "sell" in the current media market.

As for what the Florida Survival folks are doing, well it might not be high-speed Costa skills but at least give them credit for getting their kids away from the Playstations and cell phones and teaching them firearm responsibility and at the very least, giving them some chance if the time comes that those skills will be needed.
    http://www.pho-tac.com/
    Capturing the Essence of Tactical Reality