Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Taurus opinions

Feedback Score
    Sounds almost as bad as my $1200 Dan Wesson, which I went to the trouble of fixing myself and now it works great. None of what you said is a Taurus thing and can't be used to predict the future performance of any Taurus gun. My Taurus guns (which have a proven reliability record) can't be used either. No one knows how well a gun will function until the actually buy it and test it out.

Until then gun forum brownie points abound for trying to beat a dead horse.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    If you can take the time to see WHO is posting WHAT the information is easier to sort through. The guys who have put 800-1k rounds through their gun and claim it to be 1000's of rounds and the gun is perfect usually are the one's justifying their budget purchase after running a mag through it.
    You couldn't get me to own a Taurus 1911, and I'd take a Rock Island most days of the week for perspective. Do some searches on quality custom 1911 'smiths and see how many of their builds are based on a Taurus.

Quote Originally Posted by China boy View Post
    I asked about the Taurus 1911 9mm on this site because the last site I asked about the gun it started a fight and kind of got side tracked. It strikes me as funny that the same thing happened here with almost the same outcome. What I learned is there are Taurus owners who love there guns and also people who have had bad experiences. Just like any other gun. But the reputation seems to get people riled up. The overall feeling is I'm scared to buy a Taurus now until I hear better things from their newer production where I do feel more comfortable buying a Kimber, Colt, Springfield or even Rock Island as I'm the type to buy a gun and keep it forever. So, I want to get something with a better reputation than what I'm hearing.

It seems to me like a debate over buying a Corvette or a Camaro. Different strokes for different folks.

Feedback Score
    I posted in your thread over at the "other forum" that the shop I used to work in sent back more Taurus products than Hi-Points for repair.

The issues were invariably quality control related.(With some piss poor casting thrown in as well )

And,it seems like the people who defend Taurus products the most are at best,casual shooters who NEVER attend tactical schools or compete in any shooting sport where a firearm's reliability will be tested on a regular basis.

If all you can afford is a Taurus,learn to save your money to buy a better gun.

Simple enough.You get what you pay for.

DAT85

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barrelwrench View Post
    Taurus is basically a copy of a 1911 with the exception of the extractor, which is specific to taurus, I wouldn't trust it for duty or CC.
    Oh?
    Care to explain?
    Lots of 'exspurts' here these days.
    Cheap-Fast-Good
    Pick any two.

Feedback Score
    Care to explain?
    They use an 80 series extractor.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DAT85 View Post
    I posted in your thread over at the "other forum" that the shop I used to work in sent back more Taurus products than Hi-Points for repair.

DAT85
    That was exactly the point of my post in this thread. The people I know that own Hi Point pistols, none of them have had any issues with them. I shot one that belongs to a friend of mine a few weeks ago and can honestly say other than the overall fit and finish being somewhat lacking, the pistol ran fine for me and has ran fine for my friend for years.

The people I know who've owned Taurus semi-autos, all of them have had problems. I worked at a gun store for a while and by and large across the board, Taurus guns were the ones we sent back for repair more than any other brand, Hi Point included. Combine that with the fact the Taurus rep that visited our store was a major goober, muzzle sweeping everyone while dry firing "the most revolutionary gun to come out since the 1911"(hint-it was a Judge).

I will say this again, I would buy a Hi Point before I would keep a free Taurus.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Basically, its a gamble if you purchase a Taurus.

And i'm surprised this thread isn't locked yet.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWcityguy2 View Post
    Your odds of getting a worthwhile discussion about a Taurus gun on a forum that appeals to people who are tactical are slim. I would recommend asking the question on a forum that caters to gun ownership in general. 1911Forum.com and The High Road are great forums that are more about guns and less about cool guy points.
    So let me get this straight, a novice OP is doing his due diligence process, makes a post on a subject that has been beaten to death which will no doubt yield predictable results (reference second post in thread) and when that outcome transpires you point him a direction to find what?...a more touchy, feely answer to his query? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Taurus opinions

I've noticed that there seems to be a large number of people who buy a weapon of questionable quality that manage to run extremely high round counts "flawlessly" without ever needing to replace any maintenance parts.

Many of these same people also appear to have owned weapons of known quality that managed to not function at all - sometimes right out of the box.

I'm not one to call anyone a liar, but the odds of all these abnormal things happening to one person just seem incredibly low.

The reasoning given for purchasing a weapon of questionable quality is usually price. Let me say, I get ammo very cheap - much cheaper than most. So taking the least I've ever paid for ammo as a figure, 10,000 rounds of 9mm is still $1000+. If you know you're going to shoot enough to spend a few thousand dollars on ammo, why risk it?

Also, guns don't just stop running. Like engines, if you do proper maintenance and inspect regularly, a catastrophic failure can generally be avoided (or at least reduce the surprise of it happening unknowingly).

One thousand rounds isn't the mark of excellence... it's a good weekend at the range for many here.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011