Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Semi-Auto?

Feedback Score

Re: Which Semi-Auto?

Quote Originally Posted by madryan View Post
    Surefire, Speedfeed, etc. all make their goodies for the Benelli. Aftermarket support is as good for them as it is for the 870/500 pumps within reason. You really don't need to do a bunch to them. They're pretty much good to go out of the gate with a few basic tweaks and even those are purely dependent on what you want to do with the thing.

Get a Benelli with the comfortech stock and the desired barrel length. I'd snag a 21in field model as it's the most desirable and should you want later you could swap barrels for a 18in with anyone and get cash out of the deal. The 21in barrels with a fiber optic sight are the go-to for 3-gun.
    I did not know about surefire and Benelli autos. Learn something new everyday.

Have you seen any durability issues with the comfortech pads on the cheek rest in 3 gun apps? They don't do so hot in a heavy use waterfowl app.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    18 (91%)
    Easy answer

BOME BOME BOME!

Benelli SBEII or M2
    rcsperformanceonline.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by .46caliber View Post
    I did not know about surefire and Benelli autos. Learn something new everyday.

Have you seen any durability issues with the comfortech pads on the cheek rest in 3 gun apps? They don't do so hot in a heavy use waterfowl app.

I haven't, but then my M2 has an Urbino on it. I got a crazy good deal on a PG model and didn't feel like laying out the crazy money on a comfortech. My good friend has one on his 24in 3-gun rig and he's had zero issues with it. I'm a much bigger guy than him and I'm completely indifferent to recoil but the comfortech makes a noticeable difference.

That's why I was saying snag the comfortech. Even if you end up not liking it you can sell them for lots, same with the 21in barrel. I personally dig a shorter barrel and don't mind reloading as I'm not a hardcore 3-gunner type. I got my Benelli as a general all purpose SD/SHTF type shotgun as well so 18in and full extension for me.

I also shot the M1's we had in the Armory while I was on active duty and none of them have ever choked. All the guys at the range on IDPA night who have them have never had issues which no other brand or model can boast. The guys with 1100's and 1187's often end up borrowing friends Benelli's for shotgun stages because their guns aren't running right on the plinking ammo.

Sure they cost a bit more but when you factor in the fact that they'll run on anything, don't get dirty, and are bombproof over round counts that would make many departments go bankrupt, you can't go wrong.
    Last edited by madryan; 03-06-13 at 09:44.

Feedback Score

I've been accustomed to heavier waterfowl loads, 1500fps-ish with 1-5/8oz loads so the recoil doesn't bother me. Between that and seeing guys who have lost those cheek pieces the comfortech doesn't really appeal to me.

They are damn fine auto loaders. Excellent reliability. IMHO, they are the second best for HD/SHTF. I still prefer a quality pump for that role.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    "I've been accustomed to heavier waterfowl loads, 1500fps-ish with 1-5/8oz loads so the recoil doesn't bother me"

Iv'e got some max dram 2oz #4s I'll send you to test your recoil resistance but you better call and make a dentist appointment first! GH

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I've been accustomed to heavier waterfowl loads, 1500fps-ish with 1-5/8oz loads so the recoil doesn't bother me. Between that and seeing guys who have lost those cheek pieces the comfortech doesn't really appeal to me.

They are damn fine auto loaders. Excellent reliability. IMHO, they are the second best for HD/SHTF. I still prefer a quality pump for that role.

Heavy recoil does slow you down in a self defense situation. Not sure why anyone would still prefer a pump for home defense in this day and age. Its like preferring a revolver to a Semi auto. There are places where pumps shine like if your a fish and wildlife cop and you need to use your shotgun to shoot rubber bullets, cracker shells and still fire slugs and buck. Then a pump makes sense. But if all you need to do is fire lead at the bad guy an auto is better.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post

Iv'e got some max dram 2oz #4s I'll send you to test your recoil resistance but you better call and make a dentist appointment first! GH
    LOL.

I shot a box of a similar load at the range ONCE. It felt like I tangled with the wrong end of a mule when it was said and done.
    Once being the key word.

Last edited by .46caliber; 03-06-13 at 16:19.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Heavy recoil does slow you down in a self defense situation. Not sure why anyone would still prefer a pump for home defense in this day and age. Its like preferring a revolver to a Semi auto. There are places where pumps shine like if your a fish and wildlife cop and you need to use your shotgun to shoot rubber bullets, cracker shells and still fire slugs and buck. Then a pump makes sense. But if all you need to do is fire lead at the bad guy an auto is better.
    Pat
    Heavy recoil is a relative term. Some folks are bothered by a couple rounds of skeet, others can go through a couple cases in a day with no sweat. That being said, I see your point and appreciate the different perspective. Some of it still comes down to personal preference. I want to note I'm not claiming to be Billy Bad Ass that can shoulder a Howitzer.

There's a certain peace of mind that comes with using a mechanically simpler platform, particularly when lives are on the line. But with any firearm that will be used to defend lives, quality equipment and training/practice are paramount.

Like I said, its only my opinion on the preference for the pump in that role. There are good arguments for both.

OP, if you get the chance to try a Benelli, be it SBE, SBE II, or one of the Ms, you will get a good feel for the system.

Last edited by .46caliber; 03-06-13 at 16:18.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    "But if all you need to do is fire lead at the bad guy an auto is better"

What do you do if an auto takes a dump? You rack the bolt with your strong hand.... It doesn't lock back because another is on the lifter.. You shake both out and rack the bolt again with your strong hand and hope it works! A pump doesn't depend on gas pressure or recoil impulse to work. You don't have to drop your grip to clear a jam. The only downside to it is if you only have one hand left! You can shuck a pump with one hand but is tough to move from cocking it to shooting it! GH

Feedback Score
    Heavy recoil is a relative term. Some folks are bothered by a couple rounds of skeet, others can go through a couple cases in a day with no sweat. That being said, I see your point and appreciate the different perspective. Some of it still comes down to personal preference. I want to note I'm not claiming to be Billy Bad Ass that can shoulder a Howitzer.

There's a certain peace of mind that comes with using a mechanically simpler platform, particularly when lives are on the line. But with any firearm that will be used to defend lives, quality equipment and training/practice are paramount.

Like I said, its only my opinion on the preference for the pump in that role. There are good arguments for both.

OP, if you get the chance to try a Benelli, be it SBE, SBE II, or one of the Ms, you will get a good feel for the system.

My Benelli is actually mechanically simpler than my Remington 870. Less crap inside the receiver to come loose, no action bars to worry about, it works off recoil so I don't have to worry about cycling it, etc.

Again, of the several Benelli M-Series shotguns I've put lots of rounds through, whether I owned them, Uncle Sam owned them, or friends owned them, none have ever jammed. I've seen lots of problems with pumps. Mostly operator error (shortstroking) but also the newer 870's are pure shit. I've got one and needed to do a bunch of finishing work on it before it ran like I like it. Chamber polishing, debur the inside of the receiver, etc. I should have bought a M590A1.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast